Advice on natrual stone paving please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of laying a natural stone patio. However, I'm having a bit of bother. The first lot of stone I ordered from B&Q (limestone) was well below the advertised depth (advertised 30mm, more like 15-20mm), so I asked them to change it. They said they couldn't provide what I wanted and that was it. I then looked at another stone product at B&Q which was sandstone (fossil buff colour). The ones on show looked really thick, so we went for that one. Here: -

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...efview=lister&ts=1205340210315&isSearch=false

However, it was delivered yesterday and the variance in colour is quite big. Some stones are like a dark rust colour, and some are as advertised. A few questions: -

1. Are my expectations too high and is this normal (even the colours are quite different)
2. Does anyone know of any other decent suppliers other than B&Q and Wickes etc..?

I've tried Jewsons, and I am a big believer in that you get what you pay for etc... But the ones at Jewsons are more than double the price?

Any help?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
unless you go for a cut stone slab you will get a variance in size (have a look at www.stonemarket.co.uk) but you pay for this. It doenst make a real difference anyway, just when you are laying them. As for variance in colour, well its a natural product. Most sandstones like fossil mint etc vary enormously in shade and colour.

You are better looking for a local paving merchant as they will be able to supply you with decent grade A stuff rather than the lower grade stuff that a lot of places buy up and offer. The last place i would go is ickes or b and q

Sponsored Links
Thickness and colour variation is quite normal. Laying on a full mortar bed makes the former a minor niggle. The colour variation is what you are paying for (that's the "beauty" of a natural product!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back