Advice on new engineered floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am currently having a new engineered floor installed (Kahrs indossati - 15mm boards).

The previous floor was a mess - bouncy all over the place and badly fitted, so I had it taken up.

The new floor layer (who is a close family friend, so I'm familiar with his work - its generally high end stuff and very good from what I've seen) did a lot of prep on the sub floor. He was pretty meticulous from what I saw. He latexed it completely, twice in some areas, to get a flat base, went over it with a long level, etc. The underlay is Timbermate Excel, so good stuff.

This is the problem - he has laid about half of the floor in one room, and it's still bouncing in some areas. Pretty similar to how it was before - I'm not talking about normal flex, it's that feeling you get when you're walking along the floor, it all feels fine and then, boom, you hit a low spot and you hear/feel the board slam down against the sub-floor/underlay.

I know that it's not finished yet, and there's no furniture in the room, or skirting boards pinning the floor down, etc but I'm worried. He has laid maybe 6 or 7 rows of boards and the bounce is in the middle - not at the edges where of course there will be quite a lot of movement

I waited over the weekend to see if the floor might settle, but it's still bouncing. It's not the worst bouncing I've ever seen, but it doesnt feel solid under foot and there is clear movement (I know all floating floors have a bit of give, but this is more than that)

Am I worrying about nothing? Is this normal and does the entire floor need to be installed/finished before these issues go away/?

I'm wondering if I should say something now, as if there is still slight unevenness in the sub-floor, surely quicker to fix it now. Equally, I don't want to interfere.

Any thoughts/advice very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

There could be two things that are causing the bounce. The first is that the floor is uneven and there should have been some packing out done underneath the floor as it is being laid.

The second is that the boards were slightly bowed , this would mean that the floor will not lay flat until the whole floor is fitted and the skirting/scotia have been fixed.

In either case you should talk to the fitter and ask if the bounce will be remedied before laying the rest of the floor.

I am sure that he will want a quality finish with no issues so will not mind you pointing the bounce out now as opposed to when the floor is complete when it would be much harder to sort out a bounce.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back