Best underlay for engineered wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping one of the friendly flooring experts on here can help with my question:

We have bought some Kahrs 15mm thick engineered wood flooring to put down in our kitchen. Our sub-floor is t+g pine boards 100mm wide by 22mm thick, over 4x2 joists above a ventilated ground floor with concrete oversite. It is all quite dry under the floor. The floorboards are fairly level, but there is one area where I will do some shimming of the joists to get the whole floor within the spec from Kahrs.

We were recommended by our local flooring supplier to use a 7mm fibreboard underlay, and as a result, I have put the kitchen units in allowing for 22mm finished floor thickness (15mm boards + 7mm underlay).

Now, reading around, Kahrs seem to recommend their Tuplex (foam balls and plastic sheets) underlay, but that has a built-in DPM, which I understand is a no-no on my sub-floor type, and it also gives me a problem with the kitchen as it is thinner than I need.

The basic question is: are fibreboards a suitable underlay for my application, despite the fact that they are not Kahrs own product or specific recommendation? Can anybody recommend a high quality 7mm fibreboard I should consider using?

Also, Kahrs suggest that all sub-floor types require a DPM in the underlay, but that can’t be right, can it?

Thanks,

Dave

Sponsored Links
It's my understanding that all of the above is accurate, don't use DPM over wood, fibreboards should be fine and an alternative to fibreboard would be the non-foil version of TimbermateXL (can't think of it's name right now.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back