Advice on new Render

finally found a render quoting a decent price. this came in at £3,200 Everything was going well until the last few days. I chose to go with the "Wetherby" mono render and have been really impressed by how it all looks. One slight problem, the guy reckons the ladder slipped by a gust of wind and made a bit of a mess of the render on the bay, he has had to re-apply the render over it. It's two fairly big patches and he reckons its now had around 3 coats over it to blend it back in to the rest of the render. The problem is, that were he has touched it up, it sticks out like a sore thumb! it will be 4 days come this Friday and the it just looks like a big grease mark which doesn't appear to have dried out. My question is, are you suppose to go over the top coat, with more render without letting it dry out first , i thought you plastered it on, left for 24hrs and then rubbed it down with the spiked float?
He reckons he has been in touch with the supplier and they reckon the colour will dry out and blend in. Were my house its positioned at the top of a road and does get battered by the winds. Surely this should have dried out by now?

He said if it doesn't look any better by next week he will come back and re do the render where the damage was done.

So I'm in a bit of dilemma, the guy is not local and i don't know where he lives, so i don't know if I will see him again once I pay in full. I was thinking of holding back on £500 until the job is put right. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I would be inclined to hold retention until you are happy, but make clear your intentions .

Few general comments - there seems to be a myth that moncouche/krend etc must be left for 24 hours before getting the scratch pad on it. this is not true. It needs to be left long enough to be firm enough - this could be a few hours in some conditions, or over 24 hours in others. Leaving it a ful day in warm windy weather is a complet disaster as regards finish quality.

The colour match will depend on how dry it was when rubbed up in comparison to the adjacent panel. That is, to match , adjacent panels must be applied and finished at the same time in similar conditions to get a good match.

Touching up a bit usually (terms apply!) does not work - you are better to do a full panel for uniform colour.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Micilin

I will take a photo tomorrow morning and add it to this thread. So would he need to remove all the render off the 3 sides of the bay, or could he just go over the top with a fresh coat and then once hard enough, go over it with the spike float, so the colour would be same on all sides? would the colour on the the bay be a darker shade from the rest of the front of the house?

I have had a proper look at the patch this morning and i've taken a couple of pictures. This is now after 4 days. Can this be repaired without having to do the whole bay again, so there is no difference in the colour?

Sponsored Links
After 4 days though? i know the sand/cement coat took a few days to dry out, but not this render they were only leaving it 24hrs, before rubbing it down with the float. the top coat doesn't even look the same, its all rough not like the usual finish. The weather has been fine all week ,with no rain and as I said the colour has not mellowed one bit.

I spoke with the renderer, and he came back to do the whole bay again. This time though he didnt leave it the 24hrs like he did the rest of the house, only 6-7 hours at most. I did say it looked a darker shade, so i checked it this morning and the whole bay is still a darker shade than the rest of the house. He did say it was still damp when they rubbed it down, but it should dry out ok.

This is not the case, i have now paid in full, which i really regret, but I did believe that redoing the bay would have sorted it out. Will have to call him again later today to see if can come back and sort it out, Just hope he is honest enough to admit that it doesn't look a good job.

He won't be back. Just paint it and have done with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back