Advice on plaster arch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

apologies if this is the wrong place to put this question, please let me know if there is a more appropriate thread.

I have bout a ex council house which has what seem to be hollow arches (see picture) in the walls near the fireplace. If a can I would like to remove them, has anyone done a similar job and what could I expect to find underneath.

Advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like an old square topped alcove/cupboard that's been made into an archway. If you look at the photo, you'll see a crack across the width a few inches above the top. It's not a very well done job to be honest, so to answer your question, if you remove the arch itself, you'll find the square top of the alcove. If you remove the arch front/underneath strip, you'll find a small timber frame that was constructed to carry the plasterboard or plywood. Once you have removed these few bits of timber, there will be some nail/screwholes to fill up, but there shouldn't be anything major. Try it and see, then let us know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back