Advice on radiator tail leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiator on my landing started to leak last night (well the pipe leading to it anyway). On closer examination I have a longer than normal pipe coming out the the radiator into the valve, which has a step change in radius between the valve and the rad. The leak seems to be coming from the point where the pipe changes diameter.

I guessing that this is some form of adjustable pipe to allow for the fact that the radiator may have been changed ? If so, do I need to replace it, and how is it fixed into the radiator. Not come across one like this before.

I have attached some (rather poor) photos, with the arrow indicating where I think the leak is coming from.

If anyone can provide me with some guidance on correct part to replace, and the method for doing so, would really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Lloyd

Sponsored Links
thats an adjustable rad valve tail.
inside is a rubber seal that is probably perished overtime and leaking.
p1054000_x.jpg

you can replace with another adjustable one or measure the gap and use a fixed length one.
Radiator-Valve-Extention-Tubes-Nick.jpg

but if you replace with a fixed length one you'll need a rad valve tail that comes with new rad valves to screw into the end of the fixed extension.
15063.jpg

Exellent answer- you can get them in Focus DIY ;)

Thanks for the answers. I assume that at the radiator end of the tail, under all that paint, there are some flats to help me undo it. Any tips on the best approach (and I assume it is a standard direction thread) ?

Sponsored Links
if you shut both rad valves off then you can slacken the large 3/4" nut and drain the rad.
make sure you hold the rad valve firm or you'll twist the copper pipe in the valve when slackening the 3/4" nut.
then you can attempt to undo the rad end when rad drained.

I'm sure all will become obvious when I take things apart, but there appears to be nothing with any flats on to unscrew from the radiator end - do I simply use some grips on the round tail, or will something else be revealed when I disconnect the valve end? The part that screws in into the rad is threaded along its entire length.

Also, the threaded part that enters the rad, are all rads the same size?

Thanks

I'm sure all will become obvious when I take things apart, but there appears to be nothing with any flats on to unscrew from the radiator end
looks like there is to me just covered in layers of paint.

- do I simply use some grips on the round tail,
no cause the round tail will just turn.

Also, the threaded part that enters the rad, are all rads the same size?

Thanks

1/2" bsp thread yes all the same.

I expected to be covered in paint. However, have scrapped paint away and removed PTFE tape, and is definately threaded along all the exposed bit - no flats I can see.

Ok. Here's another picture which might make things clearer. Just to confirm, happy with the valve end, its the rad end that I'm talking about.

Thanks again for the assistance

thats better.

have a look in the end with the 3/4" nut on and is their a allen key fitting in the centre.

Ok. Will have to wait now till I drain the radiator. Probably won't happen until the weekend.

Lloyd

Smaller than that , Neds :cry: . But I can`t remember exactly :oops: could be a 10mm . worth buying a cheap set @ Focus DIY with the extension

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back