Radiator tail leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed a new radiator and valves for mother-in-law, had to cut and shut some pipe but all good... except the damn tails on the radiator (where they connection into the actual radiator) are leaking. I've taken them apart again, cleaned up, plenty of ptfe and screwed back in, and still dripping. I cant physically do them any tighter into the radiator, so at a loss as to what to do now? Thinking of trying boss white or something? Words of wisdom welcome, as never had anything like this happen before.

Sponsored Links
Tails do not have an end, so you can screw them as much as you want, if the thread is not sealed, they will leak.
I've never been in your situation, but I have seen a plumber using ls-x on both threads (radiator and tail) as well as the ptfe tape.
Another thing a plumber told me is to always screw the tails in without any ptfe first, unscrew and hoover any metal shavings.
Got to say, new radiators have plenty.

Sponsored Links
Use gas PTFE tape, 7 wraps, turn onto the thread anticlockwise when tail held in left hand thread on the right, so when screwed in, the tape doesn't loosen. Tighten into the rad tapping 3/4 of the way in at least.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If you mean the join goung into the rad, wrap ptfe 16 -20 times.

If its the bolt onto the valve, wrap ptfe around the olive 3 times.

Post up a pic

? Thinking of trying boss white or something? Words of wisdom welcome, as never had anything like this happen before.
Boss white and hemp (y) you should be able to get a small packet of hemp from a plumbers merchant.

That paste (post 9) sounds like an epoxy glue. Good luck taking the tail out again if you use it!

As said above, enough wraps of PTFE wound in the right direction (see Madrab above) will seal yet enable the joint to be dismantled in the future.

I'd start with 15 to 20 wraps of ordinary (thin) PTFE. Screw the tail in. If it doesn't start to get a bit tight after 4 or 5 turns (threads), unscrew, remove tape, and replace with + 5 wraps (so 20 to 25) and try again.

If you screw it all the way in so that the tail hits the open end of the radiator's female thread, it will never seal.

If the above doesn't work, try Loctite 55, but remember to "rough up" the male threads on the tail.

Others suggest Loctite 577, but I've never used it so can't comment.

Olives don’t need PTFE tape.

They do if they (compression joints) are leaking. People wrongly assume you put the ptfe on the thread of a compression fitting. If you need ptfe, it goes on the olive as thats were the leak will be from.

But on rad tails going into rad, its16-20turns of ptfe tape on the thread.

Olives don’t need PTFE tape.

Not necessarily the olives, but applied to the olive where an olive has been overtightend, distorting the pipe, and customer or landlord won’t pay for a re-pipe :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back