Advice on re-pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our house in 1930s and we have a problem with the gable wall above our kitchen window. The mortar between the bricks is disintegrating and is crumbling like sand (this is visible and accessible from the loft area). The external part of this wall is rendered (poorly) and has a huge amount of cracks.
I think we need to re-point the brickwork but the current mortar is so crumbly I am worried that if I start to brush the loose material away the brickwork will become unstable.
Is it possible to spray the area with some sort of sealant to stabilize and provide a key for the new mortar?
Any advise would be great, I'm a bit of a novice :rolleyes:
Thanks
Al

Sponsored Links
I'd get a structural engineer to have a look and advise you. It'll cost a couple of notes but least you'll know exactly wht needs doing.

If you don't want to fork out on that then get a builder or 2 to come round and give you an estimate for works and get him to show you what he intends to do..... Then do it your self.

I had this problem and had it repointed by a builder a few years ago.

In my opinion, it is not a job for a novice, if it is not done neatly, without putting mortar all over the brick faces, it could be a major problem to put it right, if it could be put right.

Sponsored Links
Couldn't agree more with that last comment.

Had our front elevation re-pointed by two local bricklayers last autumn, they ground out the loose stuff, then re-pointed and applied a coat of linseed oil to the whole wall to help water resistance (red accrington brick). No mortar was left on brick faces and it looks great (people who deliver etc comment on it).

Certainly worth paying for, given it's the front wall of the house too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back