Advice on removing tree braches

Sponsored Links
You say that you want to remove the whole tree but are only asking about removing the lower branches. What are you going to do with the rest of the tree?

If you are getting someone to deal with that I suspect it would be simpler to get them to deal with the whole tree.

Sorry but I don't see what that has to do with my question. Whether you remove 5% or 95% of the branches you will still be left with the trunk. What are you going to do about that?

It's been suggested that I ... start as high up as possible. Then as the branches fall they will be cushioned by the lower branches.

Sounds daft to me. If you cut a higher branch it may well bounce off of a lower branch and land somewhere unexpected, potentially doing damage. Maybe even hitting the ladder.
Alternatively a falling branch may well catch on lower branch(es) and when you come to cut those a lot more wood will fall at once.

Sponsored Links
If the tree is coming down, you remove all the branches.
Bottom to top.
Leave a sizeable bit of branch which then acts as a point for a rope which is attached to a section of trunk above.

then you cut the trunk in sections, using the remainder as a hoist point to control it being lowered on the rope.

if you don’t know what you should be doing, do nothing

Trees can be very heavy and from a height can do a lot of damage. Is the tree surrounded by plenty of open space to safely fall into, or does it need to be brought down in stages, a bit at a time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back