Advice on replacing vented CH / HW for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to have my loft converted to a bedroom and WC and have specified a storage area / tank room for existing cold water tanks and CH header tanks. Beginning to wonder if I might be better off moving to UV solutions at same time to avoid lots of tanks in Loft (I have 3)

House is 4 bed (will be 5), 2 showers in en-suite, bath, shower pump, 2 balanced 50-gallon tanks in loft fed via water softener in kitchen. Mains pressure good. Hot and cold all gravity fed to sinks and cisterns. Only mains cold to kitchen tap.

CH is Potterton Suprima to 17 rads with traditional cylinder in airing cupboard.

Loft conversion will involve re-plumbing 10 or so connections to newly re-positioned tanks and vents, re-sited at one end of loft away from airing cupboard. Plus CH header will need to be very high up above the loft bedroom radiators. Not sure how hot water will get to loft WC sink yet.

Is there a better solution than moving all this old technology stuff? Is an UV megaflow a better approach? Plenty of room in airing cupboard.

I could include roof mounted solar water heating at same time?
Space in loft is not an issue for tanks, but pipe connections might be tricky as lots of steel to go in for new structured floor.

What's the usual approach to this? Budget is £3 to £4k for plumbing - might as well do this properly whilst putting floors and loft conversion in. Would prefer not to change Suprima - mine works very well, no issues at all.

Sorry for long rambling question !

Thanks
D

Sponsored Links
yes UV sounds like your answer, you get great showers with UV systems without the need for pumps as long as you have a sufficient water supply flow rate , which Suprima do you have as your heat engine ?

yes UV sounds like your answer, you get great showers with UV systems without the need for pumps as long as you have a sufficient water supply flow rate , which Suprima do you have as your heat engine ?

thanks ianmcd - I have a 1999 Suprima 80 with latest circuit board and microbore 10mm to most of rads. Works well, if expensive on gas.
Water flow is good but I have a pressure-reducing valve before my softner in kitchen so rising main to loft tanks is <2 bar I think. Will this all work with a megaflow? Don't want to lose the softner. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back