Loft Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I'm a little stuck.

I have converted/am converting my loft, 3 rads etc, hot water, cold water, 1 shower.

I have a "dual Fuel" heating system.
Rayburn MF Downstairs, provides hot water through the storage tank. It has 1 "Heat Sink" radiator fitted in the bathroom.

I also have an electric element in the storage tank as a back up.

I have a Gas Boiler for the Central Heating, this is located just above the storage tank in the bathroom.

So, I have 3 cold water tanks in the loft, 1 for the CH Boiler, 1 For the Hot Water Tank & 1 for the Rayburn.

I had originally intended to run the 3 small rads in the loft from the main CH Boiler, however I am now considering running the 2 in the bedrooms from the Rayburn and the one on the landing from the main CH Boiler.

My questions are:

In my bathroom cupboard I have the pipes from the Rayburn that go into the Storage Tank / to the loft tank, thick 28mm things.
Can I raise the loft tank to higher than the rads in the loft, then Cut into the 2 pipes that go to the loft, fit a gravity check valve then plumb up to the 2 rads in the loft, without a pump or thermostat?

I have been reliably informed that my Rayburn is capable of providing Central Heating to up to 5 Radiators.

My next question is can I then move the main CH boiler tank above the height of the rad in the loft then plumb the loft rad into that system?

And, for hot water, move the tank for the hot water storage above the height of the tap in the loft bathroom for hot water?
We have pumped hot water in our bathroom, would it be prudent to take a feed from the pump so the water was pumped?

Sorry it's a long question.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
What is the question again? :LOL:

Can help you with the normal heating but not the Rayburn sorry.

OK, thanks, normal heating.

Can I just move the top tank up to above the highest Rad in the loft, then tee into a pair of 15mm pipes on the 1st floor and plumb it in?

It is only a 600mm Rad.

Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the Rayburn bit.

Sponsored Links
Can I just move the top tank up to above the highest Rad in the loft, then tee into a pair of 15mm pipes on the 1st floor and plumb it in?

Can't see why not. If it does not get hot you will need to balance r maybe turn the pump up.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back