Solid fuel boiler in hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a poser for you.I live in an old cottage and I've got a Rayburn-type solid fuel range with back boiler (Nordica Rosa).I've got no loft and will have to have the hot water cylinder on the same downstairs level as the boiler(CH and HW).My "plumber" Chris reckons I could fit a mains pressurised tank but I'm sceptical.Would a fully pumped conventional system work?(Upstairs rads and taps).

Sponsored Links
The only problem I can foresee with an OV system would be in getting the F&E cistern high enough above the upstairs rads to avoid pumping over. I strongly suspect this is why a closed system has been recommended, and if your boiler can take the pressure then why not do that?

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
I can't imagine a better way to be busy. :D

Make sure you leave enough room in your mouth for his *********

OH!.. & don`t forget his shoes need polishing by eight...kids in bed by nine..you sycophantic fawning DIY`er.....

Bamber gaspipe said:
Make sure you leave enough room in your mouth for his ********..

OH!.. & don`t forget his shoes need polishing by eight...kids in bed by nine..you sycophantic fawning DIY`er.....
Oh my - you seem irritated. Is it something I said?

Bamber gaspipe said:
I love ya
You have an unusual way of showing it. :confused:

For some reason I doubt the sincerity of your last post.

Chill, Bambi.......You`re still welcome down South , I`m a prayin` for your deliverance..has you got a fawn or two.are they them spotted ones

Gruntfuttock100 said:
Here's a poser for you.I live in an old cottage and I've got a Rayburn-type solid fuel range with back boiler (Nordica Rosa).I've got no loft and will have to have the hot water cylinder on the same downstairs level as the boiler(CH and HW).My "plumber" Chris reckons I could fit a mains pressurised tank but I'm sceptical.Would a fully pumped conventional system work?(Upstairs rads and taps).
No mention of downstairs rads :?: I`m pretty sure that solid fuel must have a gravity circuit heat leak to something..........rad or cylinder...and be open vented somewhere.....what happens if the fire "runs away" :eek: You aint got control @ the flick of a switch on a live fire.

Nigel is correct !

All solid fuel appliances MUST be open vented as they do not fully control the heat output.

I think the poster ( and Softus ) is getting confused between an unvented cylinder and an unvented heating system.

An unvented cylinder is fine as long as the incomming water supply can give enough flow.

Tony

Agile said:
Nigel is correct !

All solid fuel appliances MUST be open vented as they do not fully control the heat output.

I think the poster ( and Softus ) is getting confused between an unvented cylinder and an unvented heating system.
Quite right Agile - it was late and I didn't read the post properly.

An unvented cylinder is fine...
...which is what I was attempting to say.

Agile said:
Nigel is correct !

An unvented cylinder is fine as long as the incomming water supply can give enough flow.

Tony

The Manufacturer's instructions specify that unvented hot water storage cylinders should not be connected to a solid fuel heat source, unless additional (but unspecified) safety devices are fitted. It's for the same reason, that the heat source can't be reliably shut-down by the usual controls. Once the OP know which one he wants........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back