Changes for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Will shortly be having my loft converted into a bedroom and bathroom.

My current heating/ hotwater system is a fairly modern indirect open vented gravity fed system:
- Boiler on ground floor
- Hot water tank on 1st floor
- 2 water tanks in loft

Now I will want to get a radiator and hot/ cold water into my loft conversion, so I'm considering moving the hot water tank into the loft and raising the 2 water tanks up above into the new smaller loft area.

My question is will this work? Is moving the hot water tank futher away from the boiler going to make it inefficient?

Sponsored Links
You only need to move the plastic storage tanks , you can leave the copper cylinder where it is .

Thanks for the reply. My logic for moving the hot water tank into the loft was to get hot water into the loft too. I'd thought that the taps would need to be lower than the hot tank.

With an open vented system, like yours, the water pressure at both the hot and cold taps is directly proportional to the vertical distance between the water level in the cold water tank and the tap. So you need to get the tanks as high up in the apex of the roof as you can or water will just trickle out of the taps. The level in the Cold Water tank should be higher than that in the F/E tank.

Edit: Just seen your last post. The position of the HW cylinder is irrelevant.

Sponsored Links
Excellent that makes things much less complicated. Thanks for replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back