Advice on screw / drill types

2scoops0406

I was wondering if a section detailing some general pricipals / guidlines on what kind of screws / drill bits should be used for various situations.

For example a reference section on screw types / gauges / sizes would be useful also drill types would be useful, I for one have always been a bit confused about the term HSS drill bit, as the term seems to refer to bits that are suitable for both wood and metal. Just a thought?

Sponsored Links
hss means the bit is made from high speed steel which you can use for wood, steel, iron, alloy or plastic. As the drill bit size gets bigger it dosen't cut so cleanly in wood so you are better off with a wood bit, auger, forstner bit etc. although as far as I know hss bits are the only kind you can use in steel, whatever the diameter.
For the cleanest holes in wood use an auger bit, but it can cause a lot of break-out on the back face if you are not careful.

Screw gauges 6, 8 & 10 equate (approx) to 3mm, 4mm and 5mm diameter respectively.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back