Drilling with 6mm drill for 6mm bolt

R

richard7761

Hi. I need to get some "long series" hss twist drills (capable of cutting through thin metal sheet). About 150mm long-ish.

Basically, the drill needs to cut through a 100mm wide beam (and on it's way also thru two sections of thin metal sheet).

Okay: If I use a 6mm drill for a 6mm coach bolt, will I be able to pass the bolt through the wood with reasonable ease?

Or will I need a 6.5mm drill bit?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd always have more than one drill, and I'd also drill a pilot hole first, just to help things along.
Plenty of lube and low speed should see you through ok.
What depth of metal are you talking about here?
John :)

Sponsored Links
I'd always have more than one drill, and I'd also drill a pilot hole first, just to help things along.
Plenty of lube and low speed should see you through ok.
What depth of metal are you talking about here?

Hi. Drill needs to go thru 2mm mild steel, twice, because there are two thin sheets to cut through. And of course 100mm wood (actually two 50mm beams side by side).

I was thinking buying something like a Faithfull PP650LS for a 6.5mm hole.

Beams on left (out of sight) and right.

I'm bolting those joist hangers. Getting rid of the top bend overs.

Leaving in the original nails holding the hangers and adding bolts.

I see....Through the first strap, then the timber and then through the other strap?
It may prove difficult keeping the drill level, but good luck with it!

No need for drilling through. Just stick a screw nail in.

I'm not a structural engineer, but I cannot see those hangers failing (given the nature of loading) if I remove the strapovers and use two bolts (on each side) to hold the hangers.

Notch the joist slightly and recess them. They should hammer in to place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back