Drilling Metal Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to drill through a metal pipe (hollow inside) it's about 6mm thick and made of a pretty hard, grey metal, I'm not sure what it is.

What kind of drill bit would I need to use? Also I'm using a B&D 400W drill, do I need something more powerful?

And will any of these drill bits do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo air guitar and welcome

you need high speed steel drill bits
what size of hole you trying to make!!!!

you need to firmly clamp the pipe start small about 4mm working up in 2mm incrimets

and when the drill breaks through it will grab so be prepaired to let the trigger go ;)

Hello Airguitar and Welcome.

Since we don't know what the metal is, it's impossible to be certain. Assuming its some sort of steel, a HSS bit would, most likely do the job. From the picture I'd guess that the darker bits in the set are HSS (the silvery looking jobs are probably masonary bits).

Be aware, however, that some grades of steel will rapidly harden if they are heated. (even if this heat is just the product of the drilling process itself). The use of Oil and a low cutting speed and periodic cooling can help. Dependant on the steel, once this hardening has taken place, it can be irreversable. There's also the prospect that this tube may have already been intentionally hardened before you acquired it. Without it's provenance, there's just no way of knowing.

Just a suggestion, whats wrong with a broom handle. It's quite capable of holding those imaginary strings :LOL:

ok thanks for your help. Before I posted my first message I'd had a go at drilling it. I got about 2-3mm and then no matter how long I drilled there was little effect. This seems to be what you described about hardeneing. If it is irriversible I'll have to drill in a new place, and I'll try the cooling method along with working up in drilbit size. The size of hole I'm retying to make is about 8mm diameter.

:D

Sponsored Links
AirGuitar said:
ok thanks for your help. Before I posted my first message I'd had a go at drilling it. I got about 2-3mm and then no matter how long I drilled there was little effect. This seems to be what you described about hardeneing. If it is irriversible I'll have to drill in a new place, and I'll try the cooling method along with working up in drilbit size. The size of hole I'm retying to make is about 8mm diameter.

:D

Drill your first hole with a 3mm bit, then try your 8mm bit but on a slower speed and it should be no problem

Thank you all for your help, using the gradualy larger drill bit and cooling methods I managed to drill throught the pipe. Here's what I made, it's a short skate rail for me to session with my blades :D

Thanks again.

nice to get feed back we all appreciate it :D ;)

i take it its for roller blades so you can practice sliding allong it
so you dont make an a**e off yourself in public :D :D :D

you may need a little more support front and back to prevent it tipping time will tell good luck ;)

hehe yea, I added a smaller pieces of wood beneath the ends after taking the pic, the only problem now it when it's on concrete it just slides everywhere, I'll buy some grip pads and that should do it :p

TexMex said:
some shield anchor bolts should do the trick.

Looks like part of a supergun to me----look what you have started now :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back