Help! Can't seem to drill into wall!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried drilling into the wall adjoining the neighbour, but I cannot seem to be able to drill a deep enough hole.

I have a hammer drill (710W Black & Decker CD70CRE) with a masonry bit & have been successful in drilling holes in walls not adjoining the neighbour.

I have checked with a metal detector & found no metal. I can only drill to about 20mm in & cannot drill any further. I probably have only gone through only the plastering!! With one of my drill bits, the end of the bit heated up & in the end it changed colour from grey to blue.

What am I doing wrong? Is my hammer drill not 'hammering' enough? Powerful enough or something? Or is the concrete unusually hard?

Sponsored Links
If it's concrete you'll need an SDS drill. If it's hard brick you'll need a very sharp masonery bit.

joe

Drill bit was duff before and certainly is now!
Cheap bits do not last. Get a good one.
You are not my son by any chance? it happened to him on Sunday.

Sponsored Links
Probably a combination of a duff drill bit and a solid concrete block, same happened to me when i was drilling through garage wall when fitting a sky link, hit a solid bit and as hard as i pushed the drill turned red hot and eventually came out as smooth as a broom handle

grab yourself an sds rotary hammer, you wont regret it, even if you buy a b&q £30 special. the term "hot knife through butter" will immediatly spring to mind after drilling the hole you have struggled with.

Thanks for all the advice.

damia-b said:
Drill bit was duff before and certainly is now!
Cheap bits do not last. Get a good one.
You are not my son by any chance? it happened to him on Sunday.

Actually, that was the Bosch titanium drill bit I bought especially to try as I hadn't a clue what else to do. As you know, I ended up ruining it.

I was wondering, apart from getting an SDS drill, is there any other way of drilling into solid concrete with a conventional hammer drill??

tangman said:
I was wondering, apart from getting an SDS drill, is there any other way of drilling into solid concrete with a conventional hammer drill??
No.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back