drill

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Well ive used this drill once before on brick. It was on a parity wall. I was drilling out brick to sink a socket box and had to drill lots of holes to a shallowish depth and then chisel it out. But the drilling then too was such a pain, it took me the best part of a day !
I suspected the drill bits then and bought a new set of masonry drill bits but no difference.

I mean how long is it supposed to take to drill, lets say, a 10mm hole in brick ? Maybe its supposed to take about an hour and im expecting it to be faster. I just thought it would be a hell of a lot easier and faster than that.

I plug it in, select the hammer setting (and have selected the non hammer setting) i place drill in position, press trigger fully and hold in position applying pressure patiently waiting to make an impact. After a good while ill look and drill seems to barely have made a crater. It takes an age to get to any depth at all. Ive tried slowing the speed a little, altering the pressure. At the moment ive given up and have loosely fitted one curtain rail and the other for the rear window has been shoved in the loft until i can sort out this drill problem.

Is my techique right ?

You do have it turning the right way, it hasn't got reverse selected by any chance :confused:

OOps just saw your post neo :oops: :oops:

It does have a reverse setting but no its definitely not in reverse. Thanks for all the replies. Maybe ive just been unlucky with the brick ive tried it on. Although the brick has been in two different houses and in two different places with the same useless results.

Sponsored Links
I have no problems drilling black brick with my cheap tesco drill and cheap masonry bit.

just that maybe as suggest above they are not putting enough pressure on the drill.

If you are applying lots of pressure, you are using the wrong drill/drill bit combination.

An SDS drill requires little force from the user.

Yeah but using an SDS to drill a 5MM diameter hole into brick is a bit like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Just use an sds drill.

I can not see the point in using anything else. :rolleyes:

We drill a trillion holes a year in all kinds of masonry and use a bosch blue sds. It is relatively light-weight, no bells or whistles, powerful and will drill through anything. Why anyone bothers buying standard hammer drills is beyond me.

I plug it in, select the hammer setting (and have selected the non hammer setting) i place drill in position, press trigger fully and hold in position applying pressure patiently waiting to make an impact. After a good while ill look and drill seems to barely have made a crater.
Is my techique right ?

Is the drill bit turning clockwise or anticlockwise, in other words, does it have a reverse setting?

I plug it in, select the hammer setting (and have selected the non hammer setting) i place drill in position, press trigger fully and hold in position applying pressure patiently waiting to make an impact. After a good while ill look and drill seems to barely have made a crater.
Is my techique right ?

Is the drill bit turning clockwise or anticlockwise, in other words, does it have a reverse setting?

Skim reader :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back