Combi drill not drilling into brick

The builders yard I use has them both and they are both good but I think irwin are sharper, those drill bits that come as part of a set with a drill are rubbish they are enough to put people off diy for life.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried the very small bit first yet?

Only a 6.5mm, that was the biggest in the accessory kit it came with. I tried that to see if it was any better than the £1.20 bit I got from local hardware store before it closed. It made no difference. I could try a 4/5 tomorrow but its still the same brick it needs to cut through, no?

I think then the plan is to buy a Irwin or Bosch bit to see if that makes a difference. I could try that with a bit of pressure behind the drill see what happens. Other than that I need to start at square one and decipher the japlish of the manual and see what's what. I'm sure this drill will do the business for its real intended use which is shelves, pictures etc around the house and my woodwork but I'm dissapointed about the masonry performance. Hopefully its my ineptitude along the way and not the drill.

The builders yard I use has them both and they are both good but I think irwin are sharper, those drill bits that come as part of a set with a drill are rubbish they are enough to put people off diy for life.

When you buy things like this the people that make them assume that you are an experienced diyer or an artisan. There is a bit of cardboard sleeve that encases the drill case and it tells you the contents but not where they are. I haven't a clue what most of the things in there are. I know a spirit level, screwdriver and drill bits and that's it. God knows what everything else is. I can see me slowly but surely replacing the items one by one. I'll be starting with the drill bits. Its nice to have it all together though.

TheWizardofOdds";p="2884889 said:
I'm sure this drill will do the business for its real intended use which is shelves, pictures etc around the house and my woodwork but I'm dissapointed about the masonry performance. Hopefully its my ineptitude along the way and not the drill.

For heaven's sake - if the drill bit is turning then it is NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DRILL. It's the drill bit that's NOT suitable for extra hard brickwork. Irwin/Bosch MAY work but may NOT. You need an SDS drill. Gedditt yet?

Sponsored Links
joe-90";p="2885013 said:
I'm sure this drill will do the business for its real intended use which is shelves, pictures etc around the house and my woodwork but I'm dissapointed about the masonry performance. Hopefully its my ineptitude along the way and not the drill.

For heaven's sake - if the drill bit is turning then it is NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DRILL. It's the drill bit that's NOT suitable for extra hard brickwork. Irwin/Bosch MAY work but may NOT. You need an SDS drill. Gedditt yet?

What I do get is that you're getting on my nerves with your impatient, know-all attitude and child-like use of CAPITALS TO MAKE YOUR POINT, are you a fourteen year old girl?

If my posts or inability to 'Geddit' irritates you so much don't bother to post here.

You are the girly one. Why can't you understand the most basic principle? If the wheels turn around the car moves. If the chuck turns around the drill bit moves. It's got NOTHING to do with the DRILL. Get an SDS drill if you want to drill those bricks.

The principle of using a small drill, say 3mm is that the force of the hammer action is concentrated over a smaller area, like a pointed nail as opposed to one with the tip cut off.

Once a pilot hole is bored the larger drill chews away at the edges of the hole and chips bits off. It's like breaking a piece of concrete if you bang the chisel into the middle you get nowhere but if you split lumps off the sides they flake off easily.

A cordless drill will drill most brick but concrete and hard brick are very difficult, my first house had yellow stocks easy-peasy to drill. The house I am in now must have used bricks for a fall out shelter!

My Ryobi will not touch them my Dewalt struggles but lean on my Bosch corded SDS and you will fall off the steps it goes in so fast! It may be you do need an SDS for working on your house.

I simple terms "hammer" drills vibrate the chuck SDS really do hammer on the end of the drill bit.

I've never read so much useless drivel in my life.

I have a feeling the op is on a windup, or isn't listening, or thick.

Joe is spot on, it's the the drill bit, as been said many times.

Ime If the brick is very hard and the drill bit is blunt, it won't drill a hole.

End of.

The principle of using a small drill, say 3mm is that the force of the hammer action is concentrated over a smaller area, like a pointed nail as opposed to one with the tip cut off.

Once a pilot hole is bored the larger drill chews away at the edges of the hole and chips bits off. It's like breaking a piece of concrete if you bang the chisel into the middle you get nowhere but if you split lumps off the sides they flake off easily.

A cordless drill will drill most brick but concrete and hard brick are very difficult, my first house had yellow stocks easy-peasy to drill. The house I am in now must have used bricks for a fall out shelter!

My Ryobi will not touch them my Dewalt struggles but lean on my Bosch corded SDS and you will fall off the steps it goes in so fast! It may be you do need an SDS for working on your house.

I simple terms "hammer" drills vibrate the chuck SDS really do hammer on the end of the drill bit.

Thanks, that's understood. I can get a loan of a drill for the job. I think I'll be sticking to woodwork etc for this drill

I've never read so much useless drivel in my life.

I have a feeling the op is on a windup, or isn't listening, or thick.

Joe is spot on, it's the the drill bit, as been said many times.

Ime If the brick is very hard and the drill bit is blunt, it won't drill a hole.

End of.

I'm impressed that my posts are the most useless drivel you've heard in all your life.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up. I'm certainly taking on all the pointers and suggestions I've received. I've been nothing less than honest in my posts and have clearly stated that I'm not a DIYer. Unless you are thick, that should have been evident. Things that may appear obvious to you are not necessarily the same for a novice. That's why I am on this forum, for help. Not for cheap comments from smart arsed, intolerant know-alls like you.

We are working on a house at the mo', with solid hard bricks. I've blunted a fair few 7mm bits already.

A while back, I bought a handful of masonry sds bits cheap out of a bargain bucket the guys had put together at our hire shop, the week they were moving to new premises.

My oppo stuck an unusual looking one in my bosh blue t'uther day and drilled some holes with it. WOW! this thing flew through. You would not believe the difference.

I had a go and couldn't believe how easy it was. Took the bit out and looked at the name......Hilti. Says it all.

Hilti drill bit end.....

hilti%20te-yx%2012-22%20termite%20drill%20bit.jpg

Wizzard of odds......If you want to buy Hilti (I'm sure you can buy a decent Hilit SDS for under £800) but they don't publish prices you need to go to a Hilti store or speak to the rep.

Wizzard of odds......If you want to buy Hilti (I'm sure you can buy a decent Hilit SDS for under £800) but they don't publish prices you need to go to a Hilti store or speak to the rep.
Er...i wasn't suggesting he go out and buy a Hilti drill, i was emphasising the superiority of sds drill BITS in particular Hilti drill bits.

Er...i wasn't suggesting he go out and buy a Hilti drill, i was emphasising the superiority of sds drill BITS in particular Hilti drill bits.

Thanks for the heads up about the hilti bit and drill.

Would an SDS bit fit in a combi chuck?

Would an SDS bit fit in a combi chuck?
not really no and it wouldn't matter even if it did.

As everyone has been telling you, it is the 'punch' power of an sds which sets them apart from regular hammer drills.

The Hilti bit is just a bonus.

We have actually drilled holes in regular bricks using an sds drill and masonry bit whereby the head has completely disintegrated but kept on punching through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back