Combi drill not drilling into brick

What is the charge time recommendation from empty to full or first charge?

I would put it on charge for a good few hours and then try again. A drill like this should make better progress than you obtained.

Twenty two mins. Its the makita lxt bhp453 combi and I agree I should definitely be getting a better result than I am. I'm sure that certain types of brick can be harder than normal but surely when a drill is sold to be able to drill through cement/ brick then that's what it should be able to do?

22 mins :eek: That's bloody quick.

Are you putting a bit of pressure on the drill when drilling?

Put a bit of weight behind the drill and push against it with one hand against the back of the drill.

I didn't put any pressure initially as the manual is full of warnings not to and I do as I'm told. :) but I got increasingly more desperate and did put some pressure on but nothing much appeared to happen. The dust was minimal and the hole left was only a little ' un.

Sponsored Links
Have you got the hammer action switched on?
If so, can you hear it hammering? - you need to apply enough pressure to hear it hammering.

Damn. I noticed I didn't see Joe 90 s post or what's the name? I must've clicked ignore for a couple of users instead of quote. How do I retrieve/ un-ignore posts/ people?

Sponsored Links
The only true hammer action is and SDS drill and SDS bit, anything else is just vibrating the drill bit slightly.

I have the big boy Makita 3 speed combi BHP451 and that struggles and takes ages to drill those hard bricks, engineering bricks I believe they are called.

The only true hammer action is and SDS drill and SDS bit, anything else is just vibrating the drill bit slightly.

I have the big boy Makita 3 speed combi BHP451 and that struggles and takes ages to drill those hard bricks, engineering bricks I believe they are called.

From what has been said they aren't engineering or stock brick.

They are very hard high temperature fired. If the drill bit is turning then it has NOTHING to do with the drill - IT'S THE DRILL BIT.

They are very hard high temperature fired. If the drill bit is turning then it has NOTHING to do with the drill - IT'S THE DRILL BIT.

Joe....are you saying SDS action is comparable to 'hammer' action on a combi drill??

Granted though that Makita drill bit set is aimed at diy and is rebadged junk.

SDS is different - but he doesn't have one.

As I said earlier, even if the bit set is poor, surely it should still be able to bore a hole. As it was designed to do? I am a bit annoyed at having spent a fair amount of cash for my drill not to be able to drill into brick strikes me as mental. But as I said also, what do I know about diy? Nothing, that's what. ****ed that I need to borrow a drill to get this done. That'll go down well with the missus after justifying getting a new drill only for it not to work on brick! :D I'll try to get the Bosch bit but I can't see that making much difference. We' ll see.

Buy yourself a 4mm irwin cordless bit and turn the hammer action off, then you will notice a difference.

Not seen the Irwin stuff for ages. The Bosch is very similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back