Combi drill not drilling into brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just got a new makita combo drill. I am trying to put up a bracket for a garden hose onto brick pillars at my garage. I've charged the battery and put in a 7mm masonry bit in the drill at the hammer drill setting. It has taken about ten/fifteen mins to drill about 10mm into the brick. I need to drill 50mm, at that rate I'll be at it all day. What's gone wrong? I have a feeling the bits supplied are cheap ones, could that be the problem? According to the instructions mounting the hose reel, I should use tungsten carbide tipped bits. I haven't the faintest idea about diy so I have no experience of this kind of thing but I bought a drill that is supposedly capable of brick, concrete drilling etc. Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
If they're only normal house bricks then they should drill quite easily on hammer setting. Are you sure you've got the rotation direction set correctly? It should be the same direction as doing up screws ie clockwise as you look at the wall.

If they're only normal house bricks then they should drill quite easily on hammer setting. Are you sure you've got the rotation direction set correctly? It should be the same direction as doing up screws ie clockwise as you look at the wall.

Yes it turns clockwise. They are normal house bricks. I can't understand why its so hard work?

My first reaction was the same as Stephen W but if you are sure, maybe even tried reversing the direction to be certain, you either have a very hard brick of as you say rubbish bits.

Worth checking the chuck is tight if it is loose you lose a lot of the hammer effect.

Are the brick ones that have black bits in them? because they can be absolute murder to drill.

Sponsored Links
My first reaction was the same as Stephen W but if you are sure, maybe even tried reversing the direction to be certain, you either have a very hard brick of as you say rubbish bits.

Worth checking the chuck is tight if it is loose you lose a lot of the hammer effect.

Are the brick ones that have black bits in them? because they can be absolute murder to drill.

Ahh. We might be getting somewhere. The brick does have black bits running through it. The chuck is tight fitting. Could a new bit make the difference?

A good quality bit will help DeWalt, B&D Piranah, Bosch etc.
You can try using the smallest bit you have to drill an inital hole then enlarge it with the one you want, cheating and drilling into the mortar is another option :)

Try the high speed setting masonry drills normally suggest slow speed but a bit of wellie can often do the trick, now my old drills have taken some abuse and you might not want to over stress your shiny new one but pulling back a tiny bit and thrusting back into the brick can often break through a small hard chipping.

Otherwise a mains drill has much more grunt and an SDS drill will go through it like a hot knife through butter. ;)

If the bricks are really hard ones, you'll get nowhere fast no matter what bit you put in that drill.

Bosch blue bits are your best bet. 5.5mm and red plug.

Can't see it being the bits as you'd notice the end rounding off and turning blue.............even the cheapest of cheap should at least make some sort of effort.

A good quality bit will help DeWalt, B&D Piranah, Bosch etc.
You can try using the smallest bit you have to drill an inital hole then enlarge it with the one you want, cheating and drilling into the mortar is another option :)

Try the high speed setting masonry drills normally suggest slow speed but a bit of wellie can often do the trick, now my old drills have taken some abuse and you might not want to over stress your shiny new one but pulling back a tiny bit and thrusting back into the brick can often break through a small hard chipping.

Otherwise a mains drill has much more grunt and an SDS drill will go through it like a hot knife through butter. ;)

Its on the high speed setting. I must have been hallucinating as the brick has what looks like white flecks not black through it. Im gutted as £150 is a lot of money to spend to not be able to do the job. I bought it for general diy and woodwork but also to drill through brick etc .

you dont need to drill the full 50mm likely to be a 38mm plug so 43 max just choose screws that are protruding through the bracket between 30 and 40mm
can you not go for another brick or the cement lines

Can't see it being the bits as you'd notice the end rounding off and turning blue.............even the cheapest of cheap should at least make some sort of effort.

I agree. Even though I know nothing about diy it just seems to me that even a cheap bit should be doing better than the pitifully poor attempt I had today.

I agree. Even though I know nothing about diy it just seems to me that even a cheap bit should be doing better than the pitifully poor attempt I had today.

15 mins with a toothpick would give better results. :D

The drill wont be at fault, a Makita should make easy work of it. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back