Drilling into Victorian brick

They could be Accrington brick - it would be easier to drill through girders.... :)

Sponsored Links
I drilled 4 8mm holes 80mm into dense concrete blocks yesterday using a non-hammer 14v cordless.

Dense concrete blocks are not dense hard baked Victorian clay

Or perhaps, if you post the drill model the OP can buy one instead :p

IIRC, before SDS, and indeed before drills, a hole chisel and lump hammer was used

Thanks for the all the advice guys very much appreciated

A friend is going to lend me a more powerful hammer drill (750w), it's not SDS but I hope it will help. I'm also going to grow taller and fatter so I can apply more pressure while drilling!!! (or just climb a ladder). I think Burnerman may have a point as I found the shelf lower down easier to drill. I will also make sure I clear out the brick dust often.

The drill bit doesn't mention TCT on the packaging but here is the link to it, may be you will know if it is or not.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...specificationsProductType=concrete_drill_bits

If this all fails I will have to investigate buying an SDS drill, so I will probably be back on here very soon for advice... :D :D

Drill bit is fine.Its a combination of you and the drill.
Dril needs more power as you do.
A ladder or steps is a good idea.

Sponsored Links
for masonery just look for the wings at the tip often coloured red
if you use a step ladder you need the treads to be parallel to the wall and either stand with ladder in front or ladder behind to get any purchase otherwise someone must support the ladder

I think the good lady just can't get enough pressure behind the drill - it is shoulder height after all......
John :)
I would use a step ladder to gain the extra height to really lean against the drill, sustained pressure is needed.

Wotan

Thanks guys, just thought I would let you know that a more powerful drill (700w) and using a ladder so I could apply more pressure worked, all holes are now drilled. No need for SDS in the end :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back