help needed drilling into victorian bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi not sure if this is the right forum but, i can't seem to drill any further into this brick i have a hammer drill and am using an sds drill which, so i'm told, is designed for use with a hammer drill, i have only used it on 4 holes and this last one is really struggling, idealy i wanted to fit a glass shelf with 32mm screws but can only get this last hole about 25mm deep, should i just give up is victorian brick always so evil to drill?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean your using an ordinary hammer drill with an sds+ drill bit in it? or is the electric drill itself an sds+ drill?
If the answer is the first one, you'd be better off borrowing or hiring an sds+ electric drill and use the sds+drill bit in that.

These hard fired bricks can be really as tough as hell to drill through - often a battery drill can't handle it, if thats what you are using.
Ideally you need a slow revolving percussion drill and a quality SDS bit - maybe yours has become overheated and is blunt now. As said, a hire shop could get you out of this pickle.
John :)

It's a corded hammer drill with an sds drill bit, could it get burnt out by only drilling 4 holes I only bought the drill bit yesterday it's a bosch one and cost just under £6 so I expected it too last a bit longer.

Sponsored Links
An SDS+ bit will not properly clamp in a normal chuck, which will ruin the impact. I'd suggest you get a normal bit or an SDS+ drill.

Thanks for the advice I only bought the SDS drill bit as I was advised that was the correct type to use with a hammer drill by a chap in B&Q, 'll try taking it back and get a normal drill bit and see if that works better.

are the bricks very hard?

or are they soft and damp?

what does the tip of the drill look like?

SDS+ drill bits are designed specially for SDS+ electric drills. For an ordinary hammer drill you have to use standard masonry bits.
If you buy an SDS+ electric drill, you'll have no trouble at all drilling these bricks, with the correct drillbit .

Id take it back to B&Q, and tell them they sold you the wrong thing. Typical :rolleyes:

If you have an SDS powerdrill, then the sds bit are what you want.
If you have a normal chuck on your drill,( sounds to me like you do) you dont want an sds bit.

An sds drill, with an sds bit, will drill it in seconds.

What you may find, is the drill has been going too fast and softened the tip.
SDS drills run slowwer, but the impact itself if muchmore powerfull.

Might help if you can post a picture of your bit and drill chuck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back