problems drilling brickwork - new drill or new bits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just moved house so will have plenty to keep me busy.

I drilled a couple of holes in the wall for coat hooks yesterday but it was very hard work so I wondered if I needed some new tools or bits? I assume the walls are standard clay bricks as the dust was orange and the house is a 1940s suburban semi. I used a 550W B&D bd154r hammer drill on hammer, with some indeterminate masonry bits.

I tried three different bits with varying degrees of success but it was bloomin' hard work and I was leaning hard on the drill.

Do I need a new power drill or bits...or technique! I expect to be drilling a lot of holes over the next few months and can't be doing it like last nights effort.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes. I've got one of those too.

compared to your hammer drill, an SDS drill will go through as though its butter.

You don't need to buy a new drill. Yes SDS drills are significantly better but your 550W percussion drill should be perfectly adequate - decent cordless combi drills will drill brick easily and they're nowhere near as powerful.

Technique: You should be backing the drill bit out repeatedly as you drill in order to clear the dust. If the drill slows or starts to labour you are not doing this and the bit is starting to bind.

Drill bits: Cheap masonry bits are made of chineseium and their only purpose is to decorate the inside of plastic blow moulded cases. Go and buy a quality set or individual bits in the sizes you need.

These will be fine:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-extreme-2-masonry-drill-bit-set-5pcs/88598
but you will probably need to add a 7mm bought separately as well.

Yes but an SDS is far superior and will come into its own when the OP wants to put up a curtain rail into a concrete lintel later i the future, car boot the percussion drill and embrace the SDS

If he's flush with cash, has a good tool kit and expects to drill a lot of concrete then yes. If he's half broke and has nothing but a few Silverline tool shaped objects the cash may be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks for all the advice. I bought a DeWalt SDS drill and four nice bits; I needed to drill into a concrete garage and it was a breeze so that was a really good choice.

Hi

I am having the same problem. I have a Black and Decker 550W drill which does have hammer action (model KR55CRE). Does not go into brick. Well, I get about 5mm in and all I get is a hot drill bit.

Will some nice new drill bits such as the DeWalt Extreme 2 Masonry Drill Bit Set 5Pcs that ntb suggested work with my Black and Decker, or will I need a new drill?

I guess the first thing is to try and see ....

Hi

I am having the same problem. I have a Black and Decker 550W drill which does have hammer action (model KR55CRE). Does not go into brick. Well, I get about 5mm in and all I get is a hot drill bit.

Will some nice new drill bits such as the DeWalt Extreme 2 Masonry Drill Bit Set 5Pcs that ntb suggested work with my Black and Decker, or will I need a new drill?

I guess the first thing is to try and see ....

As above, you will not believe how easily an SDS drill will go through brickwork, you will not regret buying one.

SDS drills are great but there's no way on earth that a 550W hammer drill should be incapable of drilling brick. I've been up a ladder this afternoon drilling holes in brick with an 18V combi drill without any fuss - and I had a mains SDS drill with me that I could have used.

I've drilled hundreds, if not thousands of holes in brick with a 550W hammer drill in the past.

I was surprised too. But def. had my masonry bit in it, had the button toward the hammer icon and had my finger on the trigger and was leaning in. A small hole and smoke is all I managed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back