Can't drill into brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps,

I am trying to put up some shelves in my garage but I am having terrible trouble drilling the holes. I have a 750W mains powered Black and Decker hammer drill, and a Bosch 8mm masonary drill bit (from one of those drill bit kits). I am currently making progress of about 1mm every minute. I know the drill is pretty basic but I don't use it that often and so don't want to buy another one. Do you think it is the drill or is it the drill bit? Or is it just that difficult to drill into brick? Is it worth hiring a better drill or buying a bettter bit, any recommendations?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
beg, borrow or hire an s.d.s. drill.

you will soon be wondering what all the fuss was about.

a good s.d.s. drill and bit will deal with just about any masonry.

Yep SDS is where its at. You will only succeed in knackering up all your masonry bits using a regular hammer drill.

You can pick up a very good Ryobi one on offer at Screwfix for 40 notes. Well worth the investment.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help guys. I picked up an SDS drill this morning. Only a cheapy B & Q own brand (£25) but it is amazing, its like drilling into butter!

Shelves are up already!

Thanks again.

I agree about the SDS bit, however changing bits to say a Dewalt Extreme 2 can do wonders as well. Personally for the tougher jobs I use an SDS with above bits (obviously can't use same bits in SDS and non SDS drills).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back