Why won't this drill go through brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hired a Makita 8406 to drill 15mm (outside water tap) and 40mm (sink waste) through xternal cavity wall. I had no problem with the inside (breeze block) but when we got to the brick it just didn't get anywhere.

Ok, the drill bits (masonary) are rather blunt. I'm using hammer action but the drill sometimes "slips" (if you know what I mean).

So its either the wrong drill or wrong drill bit. Somebody said I should use an SDS drill for brickwork (whatever one of those is!?)
Cheers!
--
Ian

Sponsored Links
You want to drill a 15mm & a 40 mm hole. That drill had a 13mm chuck.

You want to drill a 15mm & a 40 mm hole. That drill had a 13mm chuck.

?? Its a core drill...

You don't use hammer with a core drill. What bits are you actually using? Did the drill come with Diamond core bits?

Sponsored Links
I've got a core drill bit for the large hole. This works amazingly well...through breeze block (of-course with hammer OFF).

Its the brickwork which is the bugger. I'm going to try a pilot hole from the outside then try the core drill bit again (the core drill bit has a centre drill which, of-course, needs a hole drilled for it FIRST).

My guess is I need an SDS drill for brickwork. And blunt masonry drill bits don't help!

I think that you have answered your own question.

Yes you need SDS for the pilot hole. A decent length SDS drill bit will only be a fiver.

Then use the core from both directions to reduce breakout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back