Vintage hand cranked bench pillar drill problem

Just out of interest, that first illustration is actually a saw tooth (Forstner) bit.

Sponsored Links
I don't own any saw tooth Forstner bit, but I thought the video gives some idea how to go about and sharpen the other types of bits such as forstner, auger or plain drill bits. I do own the plain forstner bits which have straight plain edges, and many auger bits. With my tiny thin diamond bushcraft sharpening stone, looks like they will sharpen well.

I've always found an auger bit file to be the best tool for sharpening auger bits, etc. Quite difficult to get good ones these days, although thereus ond Italian firm still doing good quality auger bit files - the Indian ones and the Brazilian (?) or Mexican (?) ones sold by Nicholson aren't a patch on the ones they used to sell - all sharp corners and poorly cut teeth. A decent one is £20 to £25

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back