looking for a pillar drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you've had a productive bank-holiday weekend..

I'd quite like a pillar drill, it's one of the tools I think would make a simpler job of many a tasks, and as I'm pretty hopeless at drilling holes square, it would hopefully reduce the hash-up element of what I do undertake.

I'm quite happy to buy second-hand (some of my best kit is second/third hand) as long as spares are still obtainable - in fact I prefer older stuff, it tends to be better made.

I'd prefer floor-standing (for the occasion I need to drill a hole in a door or some other ungainly object), and it would be subjected to both wood and metal. Beyond that I'm not sure what else to look out for.

Any thoughts and or recommendations? I've not set a budget, I guess that's the crux - what would I need to spend to get something that's worth the effort, and not likely to disappoint?

Sponsored Links
Axminster have a good range, or you might consider the wolfcraft drill guide.

Blup

Axminster have a good range, or you might consider the wolfcraft drill guide.

Blup

That drill guide looks like a must-have in it's own right, thanks :)

I've not dealt with Axminster stuff directly, but some of their kits I've seen looks ok, the rest looks a bit cheap - Not seen their pillar drills though.

For those that like engineering quality second hand kit, meddings is the make.

Or startrite or fobco star.

Often around on ebay, but bear in mind its often 3phase.

Sponsored Links
Union pillar drills are good too - part of the Boxford lathe company I think.
Loads of quality machinery is done away with when schools close - if you can find a machine buyer you're quids in.
The cheapo stuff are going to have cast alloy tables and such like - hopeless.
John :)

I think the floor standing ones are often cheaper -its the bench ones that enthusiasts want for their shed-workshop
Curious, so far my explorations have found that bench drills are typically more common, but not much more expensive- if anything the floorstanding ones command a stronger price as they're usually pro quality.

Funnily enough just bought one last night. Have always hankered after a pillar drill. Someone I've done work for quite a few years is moving house and offered me lots of offcuts of materials etc, and a few tools for sale.

The drill is floor standing, Fobco Star, I gave him a hundred quid for it, haven't got a clue if that's a good price or not, but I'm not fussed as I plan on keeping it a long time
Heavy old brute to move about.

Brilliant bit of kit that will be here to the end of time (y)
I think the chuck tapers are Jacobs rather than Morse - not sure about the compatability but you got a fine machine there!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back