Yet another drill question - NOT cordless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I went and bought myself one of those Lidl drill stands yesterday, and I'm very happy with it. Being only an occasional DiYer, I think it will help me out on some jobs and I'd never justify £100s for a real pillar drill.
However, my old mains hammer drill (£15 in the 70's I think?) is really not up to the task. It still drills holes in walls with no problem, I've even chain drilled hard brick to fit extractor fans with it. It leaks grease around the chuck, and makes more noise than it used to, but does general DiY OK. The problem is, the chuck wiggles a bit side to side, and once a longish drill bit is put in place it's hopeless for anything approaching accuracy.

So, I need a new drill to use in the drill stand, for when I want some accuracy. I've looked at all the drill threads on here, and see that the Bosch blue range come well recommended, but they are all SDS capable (which I don't mind having). Will these have a chuck which rotates without wiggling around, even a little teeny weeny bit? Will they still have this feature after they've been used for chiselling concrete? I couldn't own an SDS drill and not use it for that, could I?

This could be my Christmas present this year, so £100 or so is do-able.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I have one of those cheapie drill stands, none of my existing drills fitted the bill as they lacked the collar, so I bought a £30 B&Decker from Argos which works a treat.

Doesn't get loads of use so should last me a while, still wiggles a tiny bit but a bradawl to make a pilot hole keeps it in check. Accurate enough for dowel holes anyway. :)

*edit* Just remembered, my bosch SDS does fit but I found it a bit too top heavy in use.

so I bought a £30 B&Decker from Argos which works a treat.
Thanks, I had thought that the best solution may be a cheapo drill for the stand, and an SDS one for everything else. They do add up though!

Lidl and Aldi sometimes have SDS machines cheap, and I've wondered if they are any good?

For the drill stand I'd stick with a standard chuck jobbie, Sds bits won't be much use so you'd have to use an Sds chuck adapter. Which reduces the depth you can drill and also will add a little bit of play, so you'd be back to square one. I still maintain that you get a Bosch green or b&d regular drill. Or similar.
If you want an sds save up and get one at a later date. Parkside from lidl are good value for DIY stuff.

Sponsored Links
Well, I went and bought a Bosch green drill for the drill stand. B&Q currently have the Bosch PSB 680 RE Compact Hammer Drill at £34.98. Being an old bugger, I have their diamond card and went for it on Wednesday, which gave me 10% off. :D

It appears to be identical in every way to the PSB 650 RE, but with an extra 30 watts from somewhere unexplained, and only at the orange shed. That's a good lightweight drill at only £31.48, which you can pay for any no-name drill at any other shed you can think of. Yes, there are cheaper ones available (£25 springs to mind), but why would you? :D

[Edit: Just found that today and tomorrow it's £25.48 :eek: ]

Thanks for the help and advice Deluks, of course the SDS would not have been in the least suitable. :oops:

Christmas present to self now sorted. Wonder if I can find a bargain impact driver to go with it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back