Advice on sealing unwanted gas fire flue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really would appreciate some advice. My daughter has just moved to a new home and we have removed the old fire surround and gas fire (gas supply capped off by professional heating engineer). The flue is about the size of a brick and appears to run up the inside of the wall to vent in the roof. I am looking for advice on how best to cover this hole. A local builder advised to simply fill the space with expanding fire retardant foam and to plasterboard over the top. However, I know that normal chimney breasts should have an air vent installed and I wondered whether this applies to this sort of flue? We just want to block this off but I obviously want to do it correctly to ensure no future damp problems. Really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Fire1.JPG
Fire2.JPG
Fire3.JPG

Sponsored Links
The scorch marks indicate that you have been very lucky a fire was not started by what might have been a badly maintained appliance.

The gas pipe has been plugged - correct practice is to isolate and remove the gas pipe branch from the gas appliance to the Tee branching off point.
Is the gas line now isolated and redundant or active and merely plugged off?

The chimney flue will probably need sweeping and however you block off the opening a vent will be required.
Redundant flues must be vented top and bottom for through ventilation.

FWIW: I can see patches of low level (just above the skirting) possible damp signs to the decoration on either side of the old surround - or maybe its something else?

I suspect the scorching around the air relief opening at the bottom is from a smoke pellet, like remains of one left in the LH corner.
I would treat the precast flue like any other unused chimney, plasterboard the opening and fit a small air vent to maintain an air flow up the flue to avoid any damp issues.

footprint,
I think you are right, & I was wrong in identifying the scorch marks as possible burns from the fire.

Sponsored Links
Ever tried to catch one before it rolled on to the carpet vinn? Done it a few times! :whistle: (y)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back