Blocking fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I need some advice regarding blocking up a fireplace .
The house was built in the50's and is ex council. I have removed the gas fire and taken down the brick surround which just leaves a large opening . Can I just plasterboard and skim over this opening with putting in a vent above the skirting .
I don't want to cap off the chimney because knowing my missus in a couple of years time she will change her mind and want a new gas fire with a fancy surround .
Apologies as I know similar postings have been made but I am looking for confirmation over the capping and venting issue .

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
yes you could provided there was adequate support for the board.

i would recommend some support at the very bottom and provided the void is no more than 450mm wide then you should be ok.

studs are usually 450mm centres with noggins at third spans, so whats the difference as long as you can support the bottom.

i may be inclined to fix some timber battens to the reverse side of the vent hole to allow for the vent cover (hit 'n' miss type) fixing later on. unless of course you decide to use a plaster louvre vent cover.

I would still advise a flue vent & a vented cap. Even a vent you can close off is better than nothing, it will avoid any problems with condensation in the flue & the vented cap is to prevent rainwater entering the flue. The vented cap is nothing special, just an umbrella that keeps the rain out; it’s not a permanent fixture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back