Clay Chimney Flue Damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Whilst floor boarding my loft, I noticed that a couple of bricks were loose on the chimney breast in there. I thought it would be best to remove them completely, clean it up and cement them back in, rather than just re point them, mainly because I was worried of fumes escaping from the living room gas fire.

Although the bricks were loose, they still needed chiselling out slightly. Once removed I was surprised to see lots of mortar behind, which I chiselled at to clean up ready for the bricks to be put back in. In doing so, it became apparent that the chimney is lined with clay flue tiles, which I have now accidentally cracked and have also chiselled away some of the mortar between the join of two tiles, exposing the flue vent.

I have three pots on top of my chimney stack, but have only one gas fire utilising the chimney, so I hoped that this was a redundant flue, but I put the fire on and I could feel that the clay flue had heated up a little, proving that it is the flue in use.

In my old house, I had the chimney stack removed professionally from on top of the roof and then, years later, I removed the rest of the chimney breast from the loft to the ground floor and there was no lining at all, just two bricked sections. So this time around, I was naive in thinking it would be similar.

Can this be repaired with fire cement so that I can carry on using my fire without the risk of fumes escaping into my loft?

I would appreciate any advice anybody can offer.

Thanks,

Dandyman

Sponsored Links
A flue liner would be the way to go for piece of mind I think.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd rather not go to the expense and hassle of having a flue liner installed; if it came to that, I think I'd just prefer not to use my fire.

Would sealing it with fire cement not be sufficient then?

The crack is only a hairline crack and looking at the gap where the mortar has come away from the join between the two tiles, I half reckon it was already loose, as where it is would have been a bit awkward for me to point my chisel. It's likely that there are other cracks/gaps throughout the rest of the chimney and I have never worried before.

You don`t need fire cement - just normal mortar and put the brick back . BUT you do need a Gas Safe bod to check the flue and the fire :!:

Sponsored Links
You don`t need fire cement - just normal mortar and put the brick back . BUT you do need a Gas Safe bod to check the flue and the fire :!:
Okay, thanks. The chimney was professionally swept prior to the fire being installed and the installation was carried out by a registered gas fitter who performed a smoke test if I remember correctly. Are you saying I would need it checked again after repairing the hole?... It's only an inch sized hole and a hairline crack.

It is preferable to render the chimney stack where it passes thro' the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back