damp chimney breast in loft void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, My Victorian cottage has had the chimney breast removed but it remains in the loft void and is damp with the damp spreading to adjacent timbers. After an independent damp survey I had extensive work done to try to remedy this. New chimney pots with cowlls fitted, chimney breast blocked off at bottom on new steel gallows with air brick fitted and air brick fitted in wall of loft to improve ventilation. Chimney stack has been re-pointed and new lead flashing/back gutter. ( Also general lead flashing to roof replaced, new roof valley, some slipped tiles sorted out).
It dries up in the summer but gets damp again every autumn and winter. The stack is shared with a neighbour who has had their chimney top reflaunched to try to solve it. Roofer has suggested they have cowlls fitted to their two flues (unused chimney but they have a gas fire on ground floor using one flue).
Am in being unrealistic expecting a dry loft void (specifically chimney stack) in an old house? (As a friend has suggested). Is the structure of the roof in danger if I can't solve this (I've treated the timbers with probar timber preservative). I don't know what else to try - any advice or suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
Anne Martin, good evening.

Looks like you have done a lot of work, at no little expense !!!

Big question, how well do you get on with the neighbours?? [hope it is OK]

You mention "Flaunching" to the neighbours side of the chimney, cement tends to crack easily and admit rain water. Also lack of vented cowl on the neighbours un-used chimney can lead to damp issues.

Have you any idea about the state of dampness in the neighbours loft? I would suggest a quiet word [if possible] with the neighbour??

Ken.

Thanks Ken. Am in process of speaking with neighbours. It is good to hear that cowls on their side could help. All the best -Anne

Thanks Ken, Am speaking with neighbours. It is good to hear that cowls on their side might help. All the best - Anne

##

Is it possible to get some pictures taken and post them here? It could help people understand the situation better.

Sponsored Links
A good idea thanks. I will do but will take a few days to arrange. All the best - Anne

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back