Advice on Shower Enclosure Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I appreciate that an inspection is probably required for a 100% answer, but I'm looking for some general guidance please.
Installing a shower quadrant enclosure in an en-suite at home, and I'm a little concerned about about how heavy the enclosure can be, given that it will be fixed to a stud wall on one side, outside wall on the other. I've discounted 10mm glass, is 8mm too heavy also ?

Appreciate the help (and all the other advice in the other threads - great forum!)

Sponsored Links
How old is your house? If your bedroom floor is to regs there should be no problems at all, The floor joists in my 1920s house look big enough to withhold the weight of a tank! The weight of the glass will be partly taken up by the walls also.

If its actually the walls your worried about you could always beef up the stud wall if you are reboarding, the exterior wall will have no problem I presume its brick/block.

Many thanks Adam. Its a first floor flat, only about 12 yrs old, so I'm confident of the joists and tray, it's the stud wall that's concerning me most. The enclosures I have in mind are between 40KG and 60KG (I'll probably go for the lighter of the two). If I had (at least) half a brain I would have paid more attention to the one I took out...

I'd rather not beef up the stud if I can avoid it.

The enclosure rests on the shower tray and the enclosure wall fixings are to keep it all in position and provide a sealant area.

The shower tray needs to be installed to cope with the weight of expected use,it differs between a single person showering or a honeymoon couple showering together ;);).

The shower tray has to sit on a suitable solid surface with zero movement,movement = leaks

All diy thou.

Sponsored Links
As @Old&Bold: the tray//floor supports the screen. The walls just keep the profiles upright! I use red plugs and a 5.5mm bit for the holes... that way the profile screws are a nice tight fit into the tiles... top tip: when doing screws up, don't push too hard or you'll push the raw plug through the tiles and plasterboard and won't get them to bite! Just gently turn them and allow the screw to expand the plug... generally, I throw away the plugs that come with screens as they are shyte! Red "talon" plug are the beezneez (y)

Put the weight of enclosure into context, say a person weighs around 75/80Kg and your 40/60Kg is not that heavy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back