Advice on sound insulation for top floor flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope I have posted this in the right section? I feel a bit of a fraud on here because my DIY skills are quite basic (although now we are buying our first home I am hoping to improve!) We are going to put in an offer on a top (4th) floor penthouse style flat (as its advertised I’m sure there is no problem giving the details if anyone has the inclination to check it out on a popular property website: CR2 6LL)

There is some work that needs doing but as we are buying a home rather than an investment that can be done over time. One of the reasons we love the idea of a top floor flat is that my partner is particularly sensitive to noise and we can’t afford a detached house (before anyone suggests that!) When we viewed the property last Saturday we were very surprised that we could hear the neighbours in the flat below – obviously you can never negate all noise but when stood in the lounge we could actually hear their conversation!

We are having another viewing tomorrow (26 Jan - I know I have left it a little late to post!) and I was wondering if I could get some advice on what we need to look for before deciding how best to solve the problem (the estate agent has agreed to let us pull up carpets, move the wood panelling etc. and take lots of photos!) As we are above them I’m guessing the noise is airbourne rather than impact which should be easier to soundproof for. Obviously we are looking for simple solutions first (a good underlay will help I guess) but as we do like the place we would be willing to spend a reasonable amount on soundproofing (although fitting an independent wall or raising the floor is beyond my current skill set so we would need to get a professional in!)

The EPC rating is in band G mainly caused by a lack of insulation (I will probably have to start another thread about what to do about flat roof insulation – it doesn’t look like they are going to replace the roof anytime soon and as we have plenty of ceiling height we may be able to insulate below the ceiling – but advice on that can wait!) The point I am making though is that I’m sure a lack of insulation and a problem with noise may be heavily correlated. As it’s a flat I think we may have a problem getting everyone to agree to cavity wall insulation but could a lack of insulation in the walls be a factor with the noise here – or is it more likely to be an issue with the floor (it’s a 1970s block I think so not sure of its construction) – or could it even be a problem with the windows (old double glazing) or another issue?

If it will help I can take some photos tomorrow and post them on here – but any advice on what we should be looking for as a possible cause of the problem would be greatly appreciated :)

Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thought it might help to put up a photo (the complete top floor) if anyone has any experience of the construction of this type of property? Thanks.

View media item 55876
ps. I did take some photos of the area where we think the noise from below seems to be the worst if anyone thinks that might help to identify the problem? Thanks.

Hi,its a nice flat with outside space and nice views always what i look for.

I have always wanted a quiet place to live as i did shift work (normally just nights) your closest neighbour is directly under your flat and i think i can see washing drying (maybe nappies).on the balcony below.(or it could be towels from a knocking shop).

Personally i would ask the selling agent to provide a sound proofing test just to ensure the property is suitable for you.

no test=walk away.

sound transmission is something to be avoided,other faults can be corrected.
Newer properties have to be soundproofed as per the current standards.

good luck.

Personally i would ask the selling agent to provide a sound proofing test just to ensure the property is suitable for you.
Something we will definitely consider.

An update for anyone reading this thread: We went for another viewing on Saturday and found out a few things -

1. After talking to others in the flats no one has had any problems with noise – people were very surprised that we could actually hear conversations in the flat below.

2. The only room where we could hear people talking was in the living room/dining room and the sound seemed to be coming through just on the dining room side – near where the previous owners have put some (very badly made) wooden feature wall. The carpet is also very thin (no underlay) and in a very poor state.

3. Pulling up the carpet a bit we could see wooden floorboards – although when we asked one of the neighbours he said all the floors were concrete. So I don’t know if the top floor is different or whether there are floorboards on top of the concrete? Does anyone have any experience of this kind of construction? I’m guessing the penthouse style flat was built at the same time as the rest of the building.

4. The living room side is raised up for some reason (or the rest of the flat is sunk in!?) so I’m not sure if that has any relevance?

A picture speaks a thousand words so I will attach a few photos.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A view of the raised living room from the dining room:
View media item 55920
Patio door leading to balcony area in dining room:
View media item 55921
Wood panelling down side of dining room:
View media item 55922
Bottom of panelling:
View media item 55924
View inside with wood panel pulled back (very damp inside but assuming due to condensation as flat not been lived in for about a year:
View media item 55923

Sponsored Links
A mate of mine lives in a flat built in the 80's, and it has a thick concrete slab forming his floor/his neighbours ceiling. The concrete then has battens on top and normal floor boards on top of the battens.

I believe the concrete needs to be there for fire reasons?

OK so after seem deliberation we decided to buy the flat.

A question I have now is should we have a full buildings or a homebuyers survey? As we have some concerns about the structure should we have the full structural survey or will that not really tell us much more?

The advice so far seems to be that there is not much point having a full survey in a flat but we don't want to regret not having done so at a later date. Would it be better to ask the estate agent if the vendor would mind us asking separate professionals (electrician, soundproofing, insulation etc.) to do their own checks - or is that not really the 'done' thing?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back