Advice on tanking shower cubicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just ripped out my old shower cubicle, after finding out that it has been leaking. Who ever had installed it, used plastic tile effect panels, to both sides, one being plasterboard on the stud wall, and the other wall being a plastered wall, on brick.

Going to replace the plaster board with aqua panel on the stud, and use tape over the joints. Will I be able to tile straight onto the plastered wall.

I have read about tanking but still not 100%, what is involved.

Also been told to purchase a shower cubicle, that is on legs, and not a plinth. Will this be stable enough. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I would just tape or use a good sealant over the joints. Seal in the corner and where the shower tray touches the wall. Unibond the panel and tile straight over the top using a flexible adhesive and grout. Iv'e never had a problem doing this so far but for more info you could try asking the tiling forum.

I've fitted a few shower trays on legs and have not had a problem so far but there are few different designs available.

If you are going to use aquapanel then tape all joints and fill them with cement based flexi adhesive

you can then buy a dunlop tanking kit and go over all joints specially corners and where the tray meets the board using a dunlop or bal tanking kit

this will give you sound platform to sort out your shower remember tiles are not waterproof ,the backing material ie tanking has to take care of that

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79333...chen-Bathroom/Dunlop-Shower-Waterproofing-Kit

There you go :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back