Fitting concealed shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

I am replacing a exposed shower valve with a concealed unit. The cubicle is a stud/plasterboard wall. In order to get access, i need to cut out a section of plasterboard. My questions are:

1) When letting in new section of plasterboard, what is the best way of sealing joints prior to tiling?

2) The existing pipework is 15mm Hep20. I am led to believe that the fittings are not reusable. If so, i will have to cut old joints off, what is the best way of capping off temporarily?

3) Where is the best position to site the isolator valves as obviously dont want an access panel in tiled cubicle and pipes run down wall and under tray. What type of isolator with Hep20?

Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
GARYF123 said:
1) When letting in new section of plasterboard, what is the best way of sealing joints prior to tiling?
It doesn't much matter. As long as the wall is rigid, the tiling competent, and the grout waterproof, no water will reach the plasterboard. However, I'd do the repair in WBP plywood.

2) The existing pipework is 15mm Hep20. I am led to believe that the fittings are not reusable.
The demountable (aka acorn) fittings are, but I'd always use new anyway.

If so, i will have to cut old joints off
If acorn type, then no; if slimline, then yes.

what is the best way of capping off temporarily?
I wouldn't - I'd install the valves up above and leave the pipes open, pointing into the shower tray.

3) Where is the best position to site the isolator valves
As near as possible to the point of origin. For example, near the tank connector on the cold storage cistern, or near the Essex flange on a cykinder.

What type of isolator with Hep20?
Anything you like (except soldered!). If pumped then you could use Hep2o shut off valves. If not then I'd be tempted to use full bore spherical valves with compression connections.

Thanks for advice Softus,

The feed is from a combi so pipes come up from floor which means i cannot fit valves above. House is only 18 months old and no isolators fitted so presume it must be a problem??

Gary.

Sponsored Links
It's fairly commonplace not to fit isolators in that scenario, but the saving grace is that your stopcock is a single point of isolation.

So, in answer to your earlier question, I'd probably fit Hep2o couplings with the purpose-made plugs in to act as stop ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back