Advice on thick wallpaper internal corners?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'd like to hang some thick anaglypta type wallpaper in my kitchen and have watched some videos on papering around internal corners.

These suggest that you lay one piece of paper a short 2cm distance around the corner and then overlap the second piece on top. (Having made sure it's vertical with a plumb line).

Is this the approach you take with thick paper too? My concern is that because the paper is thick you will see a ridge where it overlaps.

When I took the old thick paper off the walls I could see no evidence that they had overlapped the corners, so wondered how they did it. They might have cut the paper with no overlap, filled any gaps, and then painted over it, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your advice
Robin

Sponsored Links
One way is to cut into the corner then run a bead of decorators mastic down the corner before painting, depends on your texture as to how much it shows.

Once you have an overlap use a sharp scalpel to cut thru both layers and then remove excess, leaves a perfect match, a wavy cut can make the join even less obvious if there is no pattern to match .

No point having a massive overlap in the internal corner - just do it so overlaps very slightly, if at all.

Having drawn a plumb line, I would measure distance from plumb line to internal corner, at 9 inch intervals, mark the measurements on the paper, join the marks with a straight edge and pencil, and sut the paper. Check it. Paste it. Stick it up.

Sponsored Links
There are a number of ways of doing it. It depends on the type of paper.

With lining paper, Just cut it in to the corner. With thin patterned papers, I trim it so that about 2cm runs around the corner. I then run a line down the wall to show me where the whole drop would have finished if the internal corner was perfect. From that point I run a bit of paper back in the other direction and use a pencil to mark the line of the internal corner and use scissors to cut the paper.

Sometimes you need to lay one drop over the other and cut through both and peal away the bit underneath.

Kinda difficult to say more without seeing the paper. That said, the last option doesn't work with blown vinyl papers. The straight edge that you need to use to cut through the paper may crush the blown areas.

I seldom work with blown vinyl paper. I think @Wayners may have more experience that me an might be better suited to advising you.

Regards

Either
Overlap and cut through both layers. This can sometimes not look great.

I'd go with a 6mm ish bit around corner. Overlap the next drop and use some strong and sticky pva to hold paper down. I find the wallpaper overlap glue naff. Go easy and hot water to clean off any excess and dry off with paper towel.
Looks fine depending on the direction of the light that falls so think about that.

As most corners are out a little bit I tend to measure in 3 or 4 places the distance from the previous piece to the internal corner. Then I use the biggest measurement and cut the corner piece just a tiny bit bigger. Then plumb a line round the corner slightly bigger than the 2nd half of paper you have left.
Obviously that corner too can be out so when lining up the 2nd half you may have to go slightly round the corner and trim it into the corner using a pencil.
If the paper is being painted after you can always splice right down the corner cutting both edges and pop some caulk in the gap, just make sure the caulk is dry before painting as it can crack!
Btw if you just overlap a centimetre or so it will barely be noticable when painted!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back