Finishing lining paper at internal & external corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
My first post on this forum so be gentle with me ;)
I have a problem which others have posted on this site i.e. the first coat of emulsion blisters because it was not thinned enough when painted on new plaster :(
Having tried several suggestions posted here like sealing with pva, B.I.N, oil based paints etc I have decided to use lining paper on an otherwise perfectly flat wall.
My question is how to finish the lining paper at both external and internal corners?
With normal papering you take the paper around the corner by 1/2" and then scribe in and cut the next drop. The problem with this is that you inevitably see the overlap.
As the paper is to be emulsioned is it acceptable to scribe in both drops to an internal corner and hope that the paint covers any slight discrepancy?
As for external corners I only have a chimney breast and a 9" pier so was hoping I could fold the drop around the corners and just butt the next drop up to it accepting that it might not be perfectly vertical.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
With lining paper I cut the first piece that goes into the corner with no more than about 2mm wastage, I then cut the second piece tight to the corner.

Half an inch will leave a thick ridge.

Also..if your painting over the lining paper theres no need to leave a gap in it, it just makes for more work filling it and rubbing it down again..the other downsides are that the filler takes a while to dry and if you put it on to thick it can cause the edges to lift or bubble and where you have filled and rubbed down can sometimes show after the wall has been painted.

If you have to fill id suggest to paint the wall first, then fill it, rub it down and give it a coat of emulsion with a radiator roller before you do the final coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back