Papering up to an external corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys (n gals)

I was wondering what the protocol was for papering up to an external corner without leaving the edge of the paper exposed to being brushed against (and hence peeling back and away from the corner). I have an alcove. I have papered the alcove with lining paper (which I can either paint or paper over). The remainder of the room has an embossed patterned wall covering going on it so Its not even like I can paper the whole thing and paint of the paper within the alcove (the embossed pattern will obviously show through the paint). So This leaves me with having an edge protector that doesn't look like it's there to stop shopping trolley's or an accepted nominal overlap.

Which would it be?... or is there a trick to solving this another way?

Ta

Sponsored Links
I bought stainless steel angle strips from B&Q. I could get them in colours as well but the steel finish worked well with the paper. I glued them onto the corners and then papered up to the strip. Simples. Excellent result. :mrgreen:

I bought stainless steel angle strips from B&Q. I could get them in colours as well but the steel finish worked well with the paper. I glued them onto the corners and then papered up to the strip. Simples. Excellent result. :mrgreen:
I am struggling to visualise the final 'effect' of using this device.

Please could you post a photo?

I think perhaps a pic and a more detailed approach could prove helpful here.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Hope this makes things a bit clearer... I figured that glueing (using no-more-nails or similar) was the best approch to fixing the edges which were already fairly bumpy to begin with. The metal edging makes the edges nice and straight. I have a sharp lip against which to run my papering knife and there is hardly any risk of the edging being damaged (unless you proper try!)

:)

Is there any particular reason why you could not prep the corner and paper round like any other decorator would do? Are your external corners off plumb? Find it difficult to understand why this trim was needed. :confused:

Then again doesn't look too bad. ;)

It was because I wanted one type of wall paper in the alcove itself to contrast the wall paper in the rest of my hallway. But to do this I would have to end the wall paper at an external corner... and this was my solution. For the most part, it's worked very well. It's been in for a year and I've not had any damage so far (whic isn't at all bad for an external corner in a hallway!!!)

btw - my corners were about as straight as the Parthenon pillars

It was because I wanted one type of wall paper in the alcove itself to contrast the wall paper in the rest of my hallway. But to do this I would have to end the wall paper at an external corner... and this was my solution. For the most part, it's worked very well. It's been in for a year and I've not had any damage so far (whic isn't at all bad for an external corner in a hallway!!!)

btw - my corners were about as straight as the Parthenon pillars

That picture makes the situation much clearer. Looks good and I think the trim highlights the different paper. Very nice!

The most important thing is that your happy both with your efforts, and the end result.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back