Advice on tools for replacing fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fence is leaning badly, and I think I need to dig up the posts and replace them, plus the panels which are generally past it. They are 3 inch wooden posts into the soil, presumably concreted in - they look in OK condition but again I would probably replace them. Postcreting them in for speed.
There are 5 or 6 posts which need doing, plus panels between them. I'll get some pressure treated ones - waney or overlap.

Any how, I would appreciate any advice offered, particularly in terms of tools - i.e. will it be worth hiring or buying a fence post digging spade ? Or just assume that I will be able to wiggle and pull out the existing posts and re-fill the same holes?

Sponsored Links
Or just assume that I will be able to wiggle and pull out the existing posts and re-fill the same holes?

I replaced a blown down fence last week and on most of the posts was able to do just that. On most the wood was completely rotten and came out with a good poking with a bar. One was a bit harder so I ran a long drill bit into the hole to remove the remaining timber. However, the last post ( and it always is isn't it :mrgreen: ) was still perfect under the ground only decayed at the point it exits the ground. Added to that it was in the corner of the garden next to trees and hedge where it was very cramped with very little room to swing a tool. With this one I ended up using a small breaker to take out half of the concrete to allow me to replace the post.
I tend to try and leave the old concrete in if at all possible as I just can't see the point of disturbing something that has been solid for probably a couple of decades and in some circumstances I don't even think it's necessary to even concrete a post in the first place. Most in my garden are held with rammed hardcore.

Edit
Incidentally has anyone else noticed the price difference between 6x6 and 6x5 fence panels at wickes ? There's only a few pennies in it so I brought 6x6's and reduced them in size and saved 3 boards from each panel. I've now got enough for another panel .

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your responses. I suspect I will be out of luck with one of the 5 posts, things hardly ever go as smoothly as you'd like !
If anything exciting happens during this project, I'll post back.

ceres, sorry? I'm not connected to the company. Is that a pre-requisite for sharing links here? I apologise.

I wasn't aware we were located in the same place, though that might explain why Google offered it to me as I know it ranks pages by location distance to searcher.

ceres, sorry? I'm not connected to the company. Is that a pre-requisite for sharing links here? I apologise.

I wasn't aware we were located in the same place, though that might explain why Google offered it to me as I know it ranks pages by location distance to searcher.

:LOL:

shame about the rude welcome I have received here. I don't think I will be staying.

shame about the rude welcome I have received here. I don't think I will be staying.

If you joined because you have a query yourself or to assist others with their current queries, I'm sure you'd get a great welcome. If you joined to resurrect zombie threads and spam them with a link to a business that just happens to be in your vicinity, the mods will probably remove them. Advertising and self-promotion aren't permitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back