Trimming fence panels in situ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Waney edge fence panels have been jammed into concrete posts. No movement. No give.

I need to install some brackets for a trellis. Normally these would slide down between fence and concrete post but there’s no gap.

I can’t remove the fence panels without risk of damaging them (and having to paint them again!).

I reckon I could use an oscillating multi tool to start trimming into the edge of the fence panel (I need 2-3mm gap at most) but I need to go down to a depth of 150mm.

What can I use?
Would a reciprocating saw blade work?

Sponsored Links
Have they been jammed in or have they just swollen with the recent rains?
If they have swollen it may be worthwhile waiting for warmer weather when they will dry out and possibly shrink enough to slide your brackets in.

If its tight then a reciprocal saw will try and propel you skywards at least initially
the blade wont cut the wood at best it will wear away the wood at the side off the blade whilst wearing smooth the other face on the concrete
if every other panel has a gap you may be able move the post enough sideways

Sponsored Links
If its tight then a reciprocal saw will try and propel you skywards at least initially
the blade wont cut the wood at best it will wear away the wood at the side off the blade whilst wearing smooth the other face on the concrete
if every other panel has a gap you may be able move the post enough sideways
Sadly all of the panels are tightly jammed in. I was thinking a multitool blade cut trim so far in maybe 20mm. But I don’t know what I could use beyond that distance.

I guess you might be able to use an extra long chisel and then a long forstner type of bit to remove the stock. I would not expect the bit to last too long though given that the cutting edge it will be hitting the concrete.

Can you not wait for the warm weather to shrink the panels?

If you dont want to wait what about some (50x50??) timber, screwed to the panels at the sides and projecting above them, and the trellis fixed to those?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back