Advice on using the downlighter hole cutter sold by TLC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've about 12 new holes to drill so I would think that either of these would be a good investment:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/Core_Drills_100mm/index.html

I'd prefer the 29.99 one mainly on cost of course but my question is to those that have experience of using one.

I also have about 8 holes that exist but the ceilings have been skimmed so the holes are now reduced to a lot less than they were (I left the fittings dangling down on their cables - not exactly safe but it seemed a good idea at the time) so they want opening up to the correct diameter.

Now this cutter, I take it that the bowl doesn't rotate and that it might be possible to hold the bowl hard against the ceiling with one hand whilst carefully (i.e. minimum pressure) cutting a new hole but of course without the pilot drill biting into anything. I reckon if I could even just get a circular score around the ragged edged hole, I might be able to finish it off with a plasterboard padsaw. I'd remove the lights and cable first of course.

Or would a stepped cone cutter be better if used very gingerly? Or is there another way anyone can suggest? Or should i just simply draw a circle and get a few plasterboard padsaws?

any advice gratefully received,
Jon.

Sponsored Links
I've always used a 50p kiddies compass set to the diameter of the fitting, mark the hole and cut with a plasterboard saw. The rim of the fitting should cover an inaccuracies.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=35813

To be honest it's probably just as quick if not quicker than a powered device, plus theres less chance of cutting through Mr Bodgits the elctricians' bad cabling. ;)

Sponsored Links
do it by hand. most of the holesaws are designed to cut a new hole with the pilot bit keeping the whole thing central and stable. Use that and theres every chance it will go all over the place, as your basically putting a very fast spinning piece of metal into a hole with no guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back