What to use to put a hole in plaster wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am looking to drill a hole through a plasterboard wall in order to run some RJ45 cables inbetween rooms.

I guess I could just drill a large enough hole and be done with it but is there anything I can put in the hole to 'seal it off'/look more profesional?

The only things like what I had in my mind that I could find were pvc grommets that are used in metal boxes for running cables. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Open-Grommets-20mm-25-Pack/p/205276

Can anyone recommend anything?

(I'm not keen on just using something like HomePlugs to extend the network connection as I want to relocate the router to another room from the modem and don't want to bottleneck the modem>router connection with a homeplug, hence wanting to just drill a hole and feed an rj45 through to the next room.)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Two things occur to me. A piece of plastic pipe of the right diameter to take the plugs (assuming the plugs are on) cut off flush and sealed into the wall with decorators caulk or similar. Plastic conduit or overflow pipe?
Or a "Fastafix" type box (es) let into the plasterboard with a faceplate and suitable edge cutout to take the cable. Don't squash or kink the cable though.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
My better half tells me I'm still living in the late 70s as far as stuff like this is concerned. :)

Hi,

I am looking to drill a hole through a plasterboard wall in order to run some RJ45 cables inbetween rooms.

I guess I could just drill a large enough hole and be done with it but is there anything I can put in the hole to 'seal it off'/look more profesional?

The only things like what I had in my mind that I could find were pvc grommets that are used in metal boxes for running cables. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Open-Grommets-20mm-25-Pack/p/205276

(I'm not keen on just using something like HomePlugs to extend the network connection as I want to relocate the router to another room from the modem and don't want to bottleneck the modem>router connection with a homeplug, hence wanting to just drill a hole and feed an rj45 through to the next room.)

Many thanks
Thought most modern modem/routers were one unit?

Hi,

Many thanks
Thought most modern modem/routers were one unit?
A lot of the supplied ones for fibre (fibre to the cabinet) are a separate modem and router. You can get single unit ones though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back