Advice on who to ask for quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved to a new house and have a garden project that I want to get started on. I'm not sure on who the right person/trade is to approach for this so am hoping for some advice.

At the bottom of the garden, (about 40 ft and down some steps) a fence has been erected by the previous owners. The fence reduces the size of the garden past it's actual boundary by a significant amount. Behind the fence has been dumped a load of garden and building waste, maybe 2 skips worth. I'd like to employ someone to reinstate the actual boundary and remove the pile of waste that is there.

Who would I approach for this and would anyone actually take it on? Thanks for the help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Whose land surrounds the area in question and do they have access to this area? How long has the fence been there? Who has dumped the rubbish there? In other words, are you sure you own the land in question?

I'd be looking at getting different people: I doubt the kind of person who would do a good job of the fences would remove that amount of waste. There are people who advertise 'cheaper than a skip' rubbish removal, so I would try them. How difficult/expensive it will be will depend on how easy the waste is to get to (will it have to be removed and barrowed a long way?, or could they get a van to it somehow?) and whether it can be 'recycled' (sold).

Whose land surrounds the area in question and do they have access to this area? How long has the fence been there? Who has dumped the rubbish there? In other words, are you sure you own the land in question?

There are gardens to the left and right. Behind the rubbish pile is a council park. The area is up a fairly steep slope and very overgrown. It is never accessed by anyone else.

The fence looks to be 5ish years old. The tithe plan shows the original boundary. We definitely own the land.

Sponsored Links
I had the same issue at my house when I bought it, the previous owner had fenced off a 'difficult' corner so that he didnt have to deal with it or maintain it.

I have cleared the brambles and rubish out myself, then paid a landscaper to remove the soil and build a retaining wall for me, the ground was up a slope and I wanted to level it.

If all you are looking for is ground clearance, then a general handy man may do it, but it's likely to cost a bit, unless you can get council permission to drop a skip or a 'muck away' style grab truck on their land and go in through the back fence.

I would then suggest a fencing contractor to finish the fence.

Hi Will, you have a lovely garden, remove the fence panels and depending on what type of rubbish it is will depend who you call. Garden rubbish will be a gardener, builders rubbish will be a man with a van/skip.
Or loads of trips to the local skip with you boot full of rubbish.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back