Advice on wireless thermostat for Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently replaced my old boiler with the Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837 Combi boiler.

I am now thinking in installing a wireless thermostat. I bought the Drayton Digistat +3 Room Thermostat (I haven’t installed it yet, and I’m on time to return it back). The reason I chose this one is because I have used the Drayton RF1 in the past (now discontinued) and I was quite happy with it.

After doing some research, however, I think the Vaillant VRT 360f wireless thermostat may be a better fit for my boiler, as I suppose it will be able to make use of all the features such as warm start, which maybe the Digistat 3+ cannot (or can it?)

Could anybody advise whether the Digistat 3+ thermostat would work well with this boiler, or whether I should definitely go for the VRT 360f?

Many thanks
Eduard

Sponsored Links
digistat ok. Vaillant controlls nightmare to programme.
With warm start your gonna use gas to keep boiler warm which may be considered a waste of precious "energy"

Stick with the VRT360f. Only ebus to wire into and piece of pee to program.

Will also control warmstart function as well.

I agree with nearly everything you say, Dave.

But I have found our customers have had major issues understanding the VRT360. We have dropped it for all but the most IT savvy, simply don't have the staff for the callbacks with 'finger trouble'.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

For what I’ve read here and in other posts, there seems to be a "either you love or hate it" affair with the VRT 360f ;) Not sure if this is due to unintuitive menus or just hard to get things set up (or both).

In my experience with the Drayton RF1, I had few issues getting my head around how program it, so I needed few visits to the manual to get it under control. So in VRT 360f defence, the Draytons are no child play either.

What do you think about the Drayton Digistat 3+?
Will it be compatible with the ecoTEC plus 837 boiler?

Eduard -

I've recently installed a Vaillant 837 with VRT360F wireless.

The RGI who commissioned the boiler couldn't figure it out and he told me he never installs vaillant controllers because they're difficult to use and more expensive than third-party equivalents. Another RGI quoted for the job a while back and he said more or less the same and recommended installing a Danfoss controller. I eventually decided on the 360f because my boiler is in the garage and I wanted to be able to control all of the boiler functions remotely and I didn't think a third-party controller would enable me to do this.

After about an hour with the instruction manual I pretty much had it figured out but it's not the simplest or most logical piece of equipment I've ever used and the instructions can be a bit confusing. However it's a good controller for the 837 and you can do EVERYTHING remotely.

Simond's "IT savvy" comment was spot on - It's definitely not an Apple Mac! If you're easily confused by your TV remote control, I'd stay well clear of the 360f.

I wouldn't recommend one to my granny :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back