Advice on wood staining/waxing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made a dining table of sorts from old scaffold boards. The legs I had to buy and were planed untreated 4x4's
When I came to treat it the Danish oil bought up the top nicely but the legs weren't absorbing it at all.
I thought I would have some sort of contrast colour leg instead so applied dark mahogany wax to them.
As you can see they've come out far too red after two applications.
What options would I have?
If I keep applying the dark mahogony will it lose the reddish tinge or if I sand it back will it then take an oil that I can stain?
thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20160215_071627_resized.jpg
    20160215_071627_resized.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 221
Sponsored Links
You can go over the top with a darker/browner wax, but it will never match the top. You could try thinning the colour out with turps, then go over with a different colour. Otherwise sand it back.

I have used paint stripper to remove wax , works well.Light oak wax may be a better match.

Sponsored Links
I assume you don't want the legs to be that colour, so I would sand them back. Fortunately they're not turned ;) The legs are probably not absorbing the oil because of their higher moisture content. If you're keeping the table, I would just leave them untreated, then have another go in a year's time.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back