Advice : Persistant Leaking windows after rain - next steps with installer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 years ago I had a medium sized local / "reputable" company replace the windows in the house. They're a flush sash upvc profile.

I've had persistent issues with 3 windows. About once or twice a year, after heavy horizontal rain, I get damp patches on the bottom corners of the wall under the windows. Same 3 windows out of 20. Most exposed coastal corner of the house and receive a lot of rain battering.

They've been back 3 times now to remedy. However, it's impossible to test the repair until a few days of horizontal rain directed at them.

They're always polite and willing etc, however, after the recent rain the damp spots have come back. Again.

I suspect a decent repair may need more than 30 mins, some frame adjustment and sealant.

I think having watertight windows is a reasonable minimum expectation for the product.

Can anyone offer advice as to the best way to resolve? I could ask for them to remove and reinstall? Not sure how this will be received. Also, if this is down to install error, is there any guarantee they wouldn't make the same mistakes?

If received badly, is there an arbitration process? Don't want to make it acrimonious but running out of patience.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If you are talking flush casement windows, I'm wondering if water is tracking back inside, perhaps the concealed drainage holes are blocked.

Photos would help.

I've got flush casement units, but fitted my own, no problems so far.

1000000982.jpg
1000000984.jpg

Sponsored Links
They are flush casement... similar to mine... I presume a solid brick house?

Does the window have UPVC cill sat on the stone cill or just stone cill?

Adding more sealant is not going to sort it, The trim looks like it spans the cavity and the plastic cill looks like it too spans the cavity.
Were the original windows further forward ?

So there are two potential issues...1. the windows are draining into the cill and out to the inner leaf. or 2 there is a leak above the window that is now running down to the cill and on to the inner leaf.

So when you open the window is there any wet in the window base and are there any drain holes leading down on to the cill...

Adding more sealant is not going to sort it
Agreed
The trim looks like it spans the cavity and the plastic cill looks like it too spans the cavity.
Agreed
Were the original windows further forward
No. They were original wooden single glazed.
So there are two potential issues...1. the windows are draining into the cill and out to the inner leaf. or 2 there is a leak above the window that is now running down to the cill and on to the inner leaf.
#1. Roof is fine, even checked.
So when you open the window is there any wet in the window base and are there any drain holes leading down on to the cill..
There are drainage holes. Signs of moisture from dust marks but never seen any

Take a photo of inside reveal please
20221222_155545.jpg

Yes. One sales chap who did rough measurements.
One "surveyor" who spent a few hours measuring.

I will assume they have tested the drainage e.g. pour directly into open window channel so obvious things are ruled out.

Unfortunately driven rains are tricky to troubleshoot.

It's possible the exterior glazing is being overwhelmed - do you know what size packers are around the glazing? (not the frame). Ideally these need to be at least 5.5mm they may not be - otherwise in heavy rains water can "bridge" and cross the gap via surface tension.

I will assume they have tested the drainage e.g. pour directly into open window channel so obvious things are ruled out
No. Each time they looked and agreed it was leaking. Last time they took the glass out and "adjusted the frame and packers".

So stupid question: if I open the window and slowly pout water down the drain holes, I'd expect to see it run out of the upvc cill gap on the outside? And if it doesn't, does that mean the install is incorrect?

If you open the window, there should be some routed out drain holes, just behind the black rubber seals.

If you pour some water through these, it should come out on to the concealed cill, in reality if the window is not flat, some water will make it down to one end of the window. If you have spirit level, perhaps sit it on the cill see if it angles down to your wet patch (sounds wrongo_O).

As previous folk have mentioned, moisture/water is being carried over the inner brickwork, would have expected those windows to be brought forward. Some of mine are that far back, but I've got solid brickwork and rebated reveals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back