Velux window - damp

It looks like the timber is completely rotten and there's a big hole in it in that corner, you'll need to address that surely.

Sponsored Links
hi again all,

I’ve had a peak below the side flashing, and it’s clear the wood on the damp side seems to have warped away leaving a gap to the side and at the end, which looks like the problem. Compared to the dry side which is flush with no gap.

I did try rescrewing with ptfe but seems fruitless given there’s a big old gap to the side.

Attaching pictures

Can any of you who have been very helpful so far advise any simple fixes? Even if they are a botch, just want to stop the rot (pardon the pun).

Considering filling the gap with silicone.. or waterproof tape to stem the flow. But a bit uneasy with both..

Help appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4206.jpeg
    IMG_4206.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4207.jpeg
    IMG_4207.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 48
Hi Peter
Sorry for the delay! I wasn't referring to that cover flashing! I meant the piece that sits on the side of the frame and is screwed into the wooden frame. I tried uploading a picture but it keeps telling me to accept cookies which I consent to but it still won't let me send a picture....

Sponsored Links
Hi Peter
Sorry for the delay! I wasn't referring to that cover flashing! I meant the piece that sits on the side of the frame and is screwed into the wooden frame. I tried uploading a picture but it keeps telling me to accept cookies which I consent to but it still won't let me send a picture....
Ah do you mean this bit? The screws don’t look too bad and it’s not showing too much signs of wear unlike the previous pics..

Attachments

• IMG_4246.jpeg
    IMG_4246.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 42
Hi Peter

After looking at your pics again the last two pics show a gap between the timber and the aluminium profile which seem to be of different sizes! looking where the rot is I suspect the screw just above the rot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back