Advice please about gas/electric fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a back boiler in my living room chimmney breast with a gas fire. Around 5 years ago the council removed the back boiler and changed the ags fire. I now have a combi boiler in my kitchen.

I now own my house and I am decortaing my sitting room and want a new fire as its old fashioned.

My question is do I buy a gas or electric fire to replace it. My partner is worried about the safety issues of gas and wants an electric one installed. We want the modern wall hung plasma type. I am not too botheed about the cost to run as we hardly ever use the fire. Is it easy enough to change a gas fire toa n elctric one? Or are gas fires safe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply

Can I just ask I know nothing about fires lol

I would need a corgi engineer to cap off my gas supply to my old fire, but would he be able to install an electric one or would I need an electrican as well

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Electric fire would probably come fitted with a normal 13A plug. If there is a suitable socket nearby then fine, if not you would need an electrician to fit a socket in a convenient location.

If you decide to opt for a gas fire AVOID the flueless type sold in the large DIY warehouses. Quick search on here will show you why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back